Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lacking in sand

Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airing down it key, 20 PSI is not low enough. I run my tires at 12-15 PSI depending on the conditions of the beach. You'll probably see a big difference when you air down.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...thats the beauty of airing down. If the 25 is still digging go to 18 then 12. I have run my Rubi 32s at 15psi on trails and made way bigger jeeps look stupid- anthough i was popping beads every few hours!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

...also- you are disabling ESP right? It really boggs me in sand.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by greenrescue
I just spent the day wheeling in a variety conditions and was very disapointed in how my JK did in heavy sand. I have 35's and 4.88 manual. It seemed like no mater how I used the gas on sandy hills I would just dig in. Would lockers make a difference. My old TJ Rubicon would have eaten the same terrane up. I love my JK any suggestions?
I have the 30 up front and a little scared of lockers in the 30. I am planning a trip to Rubicon trail in
July driving from Indiana and I need to change a few things.
...and your TJ was probably about half the weight of your JKU. If your gonna dobthe rubicon and can afford lockers- do it. But i would recomend learning how to use the crawl feature of your electronic throttle and BLD first.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

20 psi is way too much for the sand. I have had lots of luck running 7-12 psi on non bead locks with no problems over 25 years and have NEVER lost a bead.

Also make sure the traction control crap is off. As for lockers, they really dont help significantly when running high speed in the dunes unless you have lots of HP. Just remember that speed and momentum are your friend.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
...also- you are disabling ESP right? It really boggs me in sand.
I did not, I am an idiot. I was running late to meet up with a group. I thought it was acting like a dog.

Quick Reply: lacking in sand