Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Kongo Cage (New Powdercoat finish?)

Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kongo Cage (New Powdercoat finish?)

I am looking at racks for my JK and saw that Kongo Cage recently added that they are now "the most rust resistant rack in the industry." Given the comments in this forum about how these things rust, I was curious if anyone had ordered this rack recently and what their experience had been.

I really like that with 4 bolts (which I would likely modify to quick releases) I can pull the whole rack off. Love to hear if this claim is an improvement for this rack system.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Hmm. I got their first (or at least one of the first few they made) cage for the unlimited JK, and haven't had any rust issues. Maybe I should look a little more closely... I only use it for surfboards.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Heinous
Hmm. I got their first (or at least one of the first few they made) cage for the unlimited JK, and haven't had any rust issues. Maybe I should look a little more closely... I only use it for surfboards.
same here, only use for my surfboards. i don't know about 4 bolts and taking the thing off though
Old 12-10-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought one 6 weeks ago. It's been on since.. It WILL rust anywhere a piece of paint comes off.. And when you install it, you will see what I mean. When tightening the bolts that hold the cage together, it's almost impossible not do damage the paint, even with washers.
But the simple solution is to spray a little clear black on the joints where the paint is missing, and check your rack now and then... I assume it will last as long as the Jeep...

Another issue to consider is the noise... I will have a piece of plexiglass cut as wide as the rack, and mount it up front as a wind deflector. At 50+ mph it is currently making a lot of noise.... And the wind deflector KargoMaster is offering is a joke... A little piece of plastic for the cage only, and it cost $140...!! Insane.

My wife and I have been camping and driving off road with at least 300 pound on the rack, no problem.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
JK Newbie

I'll have to take a look at mine. It came with a tube of silicone for all the bolts, so I didn't have any issues with paint coming off. It's been a while since I've looked closely, though.

As for noise, do you have the basket as well, or just the cage? I only have the cage, and it's not particularyly noisey. I'm curious to see what you make for a wind deflector, though.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, my specialty is painting industry and here's my comment: if it's powder paint, there's not much to improve or dicover in this field. It's simple - if you have any mechanical damage, it will rust.

The only expcetion is if they primer that with cataphoresis (KTL) method. It's normally used in painting process of home appliances and automotive industry.
It's also getting into smaller and smaller industry and manufacturing area thanks to many worldwide appearing service cataphoresis equipped painting shops. Then if it is damaged on the surface (powder coat only), no rust should appear. The KTL primer is exremely resistant, also in mechanical way.

If they use that, then it's a BIG plus in mechanical resistance and quality of paint.

Quick Reply: Kongo Cage (New Powdercoat finish?)