Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Knocking feeling in steering wheel and gas pedal

Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knocking feeling in steering wheel and gas pedal

Put a 2.5 budget lift on. Had it on for 3 or 4 months. Now when driving I feel a knocking bump that can be felt in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. WTF. Really have no idea what this is. Anyone?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does it knock going straight down the road or does it knock while turning or does it knock while spinning the steering wheel.

Mine had a knock while spinning the steering wheel because I had a bent steering stabilizer and a loose trackbar. I replaced the steering stabilizer and tightened the trackbar. No more knock for me. But I have no idea if it is the same thing for you because we dont know when you get the knock.

Without knowing anything more though, check the torque of everything that was involved in the lift.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the steering clunk. Do a search on that a ton of threads will come up.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

i went thought a number of different knocks and before you go getting a new steering shaft or packing them with grease "witch does not work" there are a few things you can check out that solved my rattles and knocks. check the inner fender well guards. mine was hitting the frame and driving me crazy. put a self tapping screw through it and no more noise. also had another one not sure if you have a stick or not but there is a hydro line above the tranz that goes to the Master cylinder. at least thats where i think it goes i did not trace if out but that was knocking against the body and it was driving me CRAZY. also check your axle shafts make sure your u joints are all good. check the track bar make sure it's all nice and snug and the mounting holes are not wallowed out. i also had to fix this on mine. just welded some plate covered up the holes and re drilled them. worked like a charm. hope this helps
Old 06-29-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi

the intermediate shaft is the culprit. Replacing it or greasing it is just a band aid. IMO the main problem is the grease gets hot from the engine and the parts clunk around. If you re-grease it with a high temp grease it will do better.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

We've had some odd clunks coming from underneath lately too. It started while driving on some pretty rough country roads. I've felt "feedback" through the wheel and pedal too, and my wife has said it felt like something was slapping the floorboard right underneath her feet on the passenger side. I've checked and nothings stuck under there. Glad you posted.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I'm almost certain it's the steering clunk that can be felt in the steering wheel, the brake pedal and the passenger floor board. it only happens once the engine gets hot because the spline shafts of the steering column are joined right beside the manifold which gets extremely hot. once the heat penetrates through to the steering shaft the grease within gets thin and the two parts of the steering shaft start to knock against one another. there's a good write-up on how to fix it, just search around.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

I have this happen too with a completely stock jeep it comes and goes
Old 06-29-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A new intermediate shaft fixed mine, for now......Till it wears out I guess.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep
A new intermediate shaft fixed mine, for now......Till it wears out I guess.
it fixed mine. for a month.

Quick Reply: Knocking feeling in steering wheel and gas pedal