Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Knight Chrome Wheels by Pro Comp

Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got off the phone with ProComp corperate. After some google-ing, I was able to find some contact info for the corperate offices. FYI....Trans American Parts owns ProComp and 4wheelparts.com ... and 4wd.com is the "Jeep Specific" sister company to 4wheelparts.com. But I bought my wheels from tirepackage.com , yet they are being returned to 4wd.com ... confused yet?

Anyway, I called and explained my situation to the guy at ProComp corporate... and he seemed sympathetic, but he also said no two wheels would ever match perfectly because of the process they use. Thats when I explained that I can deal with "not perfect" but this was simply unacceptable. out of the 5 wheels, they have 4 different production dates. You can find the production dates on the serial number sticker on the outside of the box, as well as on a sticker on the wheel itself. I have 2 made on 4/28/2008, and one from 4/29, one from 4/30 and another from 5/3. The one from 5/3 was A LOT darker then the rest. The two with the same production date were NOT a perfect match, but were acceptable to me. I think it was the 4/30 wheel that was lighter than the rest...and the 4/29 wheel was somewhere inbetween.

We will see what happens now that I was able to get to ProComp....although I do think it is a bit strange that on the procomp website they do not list any contact info.... not even an email. Make me wonder what are they hiding. But if they don't take care of this, and get me 5 reasonable close matching wheels and/or refund me in full...well, I can always dispute the charges on my credit card, and start looking elsewhere.

Thanks for the American Racing wheel link...that wheel is pretty cool. If this situation does not get rectified, I'll probabily go that direction.

Oh, and I realize that the finish is not easily repairable...but I live in Chicago, not much wheeling to do in the city. My biggest worry is the salt on our winter roads.

I'll keep you guys updated.... You can always tell what a company is worth when there is a problem... and how their customer service deals with it. So far, so good, but we will see what happens in the end...if they will stand by their product or .........
Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been in your shoes three times, Everytime i have had poorly matched wheels and finish of the wheels do not hold up, my stock wheels took more abuse and still look good. be very careful with these wheels and any type off mud or even to much raod salt...but they look badass when they are new with a good set of meats on them
Old 10-08-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Put these on it. Seriously...I can remember the days that if you didn't have these, you weren't nuthin. Damn ugly bastards.

Why stop here? Just get cragars, then you will be old school.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah Procomp and 4wheelparts both suck. 4 of mine matched but one was WAY off, actaully the one that was way off was the only one that looked like it had any black in the finish at all, the rest looked like dull chrome. They shouldnt even be selling these wheels, they all know that different batches dont match for crap and htye continue to sell them. When I first called 4wheelparts about them I didnt even have to finish my sentence once I said knight chrome wheels, BUT 4wheelparts wouldnt do crap for me because they were mounted on the jeep already for one day. I finally after many calls got a number for procomp and spoke with a manager there, he was willing to exhange them and hand pick them out in the warehouse from the same batch, but I would have to pay for shipping and mounting and balancing again. Well that never happened as I went wheeling that weekend in dirt/sand and scrathed the finish on one. Let me tell you the finish doesnt last for anything on them. Two of them it looks like the finish is just worn off almost the entire rim, its all completely dull and black in some area's like there is primer underneath.

I will NEVER buy a procomp product again!!!!!!!!!!!

I see you have listed that they are on backorder, I would cancel completely if I were you, I dont think they will even hold up to salt in the winter.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Knight Chrome Wheels by Pro Comp