Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Knight Chrome Wheels by Pro Comp

Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knight Chrome Wheels by Pro Comp

Hey all,

Just to let you know, I just received my Pro Comp 9001 "Knight Chrome" Wheels (18x9.5) and as I feared (and and heard form another JK-Forum member) they did not match. I ordered them from tirepackage.com and told them I would like them to make sure that the wheels matched. Well, they did not. There are actually stickers on the boxes and on the wheels indicating the production date....2 wheels has the same date, the other 3 all had different dates. Then I called, and was transfered to 4wd.com customer service....I did not know that they were "sister" companies..... which I found interesting... Anyway, those guys were really cool about it, and arranged for the return, but as far as getting 5 wheels that match, we would have to wait for the next shipment.... which could be 2 weeks or 2 months, they cannot tell me. So, now I'm stuck. I'm in love with those wheels....they are SOOOO COOL!!!! But I can't deal with wheels that don't match.

Let hope that procomp can get these problems ironed out....but then again, they are made in China, so what can you really expect.

But if anyone has any ideas..I'm looking for a black 18" wheel for my JK unlimited that will be here in about 2 weeks. i have attached a picture of the wheel I ordered, and now am returning.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PXA9001_rt.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	13901  
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about the wheels are they having trouble with matching?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

I lined up all 5 wheels in the sun light...some are lighter, some are darker. Don't get me wrong...it's a really cool finish... it's like chrome...just darker....like a black chrome. But as you look at them all lined up next to each other, you can clearly see some are darker than others.... I tried to take a pictures (I had them lined up lighest to darkest) but it did not show at all.

It's really a shame, becuase It suck a cool wheel and finish.....I've been finfing it difficult to find a black or dark wheel in an 18" with the deep lip...Pro Comp make a "gloss black" version of the wheel, but it has these chrome accents which I don't care for. I like monochromatic wheels....just a personal thing.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

So what happens if a wheel gets messed up and has to be replaced later on? Are they not going to match then?
Old 10-08-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Jedi

Well....you could put two that closely match on one side and two that closely match on the other. Can't see but one side at a time.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will agree with you on how Cool these wheels look. I was close to getting the same ones. But, you do not want to get these if you are going to wheel at all with them. Once scratched you can not do anything to "Mask" the boo boo. I was told from 4wheel parts they have seen to many complaints about wheels colors not matching and issues with the surface being too easy to damage. So I quickly decided against them for my JK. But my Mustang will likely be getting a new set of shoes with this type of wheel treatment.

As for repair....For example Black wheels you just respray them with a rattle can. The polished aluminum you can just dremel out the scratch and buff it back to a shine.

I hope they are not making you pay for shipping back to the warehouse. It was clearly their mistake if you asked for them to check in advance.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

TKOB1060 had that problem
Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the new American Racing Teflon Punisher
http://www.americanracing.com/browse_new.asp
The 17 x 8.5 has a 4.5" backspacing and a -6 offset. Should have a good sized lip. (2.5" or so)
They also make a "black chrome" if you want to take that chance again.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi

Put these on it. Seriously...I can remember the days that if you didn't have these, you weren't nuthin. Damn ugly bastards.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Put these on it. Seriously...I can remember the days that if you didn't have these, you weren't nuthin. Damn ugly bastards.

Classic! My dad had those on his lifted Dodge back in the early 80's. Whenever I see those, I think of that truck and the time I spent "helping" him build it

One of them still lives on as a hose reel at my mom's house (my dad had to do something with the bent ones after he totaled it trying to miss a deer)

Quick Reply: Knight Chrome Wheels by Pro Comp