Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

KM2 vs MTR w/ Kevelar - Which is better on road? Quieter?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubious
CUT THE FENDERS i love mine since i have done it

how much stronger are the sidewalls on the new mtr vs. the km2. i've cut 3 of my stock rubi tires (at 25 psi or higher) so i'm hesitant of airing down any, or buying another bfg
I agree, cut away, it does suck watching them flap around... I had xenons and they worked but were expensive, I finally fabbed some custom tubbies.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il
DON"T DO IT!!! I HATE the fact that I cut mine....so much in fact that I spent $1200 to buy tube fenders. Rock your factory flares until they're unreconizable, yo u'll regret chopping them
Originally Posted by rubious
CUT THE FENDERS i love mine since i have done it

how much stronger are the sidewalls on the new mtr vs. the km2. i've cut 3 of my stock rubi tires (at 25 psi or higher) so i'm hesitant of airing down any, or buying another bfg
I bought a spare set, in case I get cutters regret
I read a review from a Jeep rental place in AZ, the owner said that they had not cut a single sidewall since going to the MT/R (22 Jeeps running them) where they had cut at least 1 BFG per week whem running the KM2
Old 07-12-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Skippman
Having run the BFG KM's on my Rubi now for 13K they're starting to get quite loud (for me) on the highway. My JK is a daily driver and I spend 90% of my time on road. To that end I'm trying to decide which tire is more well behaved on road.

Every review on here seems to be geared towards thier off road performance which seems to be a toss up. How about thier on road performance? The righter patern of the Goodyear makes me believe they would be quieter and better tracking on road.

What do you guys think?
Just got the KM2's a week ago and went out wheelin on them today for the first time. GREAT tire! Quietest M/T tire I've ever driven on the interstate and kicks some serious butt off road on the rocks. They ride very well compared to the Hankooks I was just running too. The Hankook is a very good tire, but the KM2 is just a superior tire. I've had alot of troubles with Goodyears in the past being an auto tech for 8 years, so I just refuse to run them for those reasons. I've learned just to rotate the tires on a Jeep every 3K and they wear so much better which results in a quieter tire as well
Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meljr
You can rotate them anyway you want -- including a five tire rotation with the spare. Each tire is mounted the same way on every wheel, which keeps the inside always on the inside when you change sides (confusing -- you bet, but it works because the tires are asymetrical, but NOT unidirectional).

-meljr
Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 PM
JK Super Freak

for you guys that have been wheeling your MT/R's, does the sidewall flex well? i have heard they do and have heard they dont. I have a set of KM2's and love them and was thing about tring a set of the MT/R's when the KM2's wear out.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

We did a family run at Rausch Creek on Saturday and KMacJKPA was running a new set of the MTR's with Kevlar, and four of us had KM2's 2 - 35's and 2 33's I love the KM2's but the MTR are a good looking tire and they did an excellent job on the rocks and the mud. I was not sure about the look from seeing them on line but in person the are a cool tire. Nice sidewall tread.
We ran greens, blues and blacks and both the KM2's and MTR's did an excellent job.
Cant speak to the road noise on the MTR's but either tire is an excellent choice for off road.
MTR's

KM2's (Sorry mine were a little muddy at the time)

Last edited by DtownJK; 07-13-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Putting 35/17/1250 MTR's on next week along with 3.25 Rough Country lift and 5:13 gears.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

great info guy but dam i cant still decide .

at this moment i have the hankook dynapro rt03 in 35 inch and i am going to stick to 35 but witch one to buy

i still dont know
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran KM2 on my TJ. Awesome offroad. Bad wear on road and very load. I am running MTR Kevlars on my JK. Awesome all the way around. I got almost 40k and they are starting to make some noise. They are 35's

Quick Reply: KM2 vs MTR w/ Kevelar - Which is better on road? Quieter?