Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

KM2 vs MTR w/ Kevelar - Which is better on road? Quieter?

Old 07-11-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default KM2 vs MTR w/ Kevelar - Which is better on road? Quieter?

Having run the BFG KM's on my Rubi now for 13K they're starting to get quite loud (for me) on the highway. My JK is a daily driver and I spend 90% of my time on road. To that end I'm trying to decide which tire is more well behaved on road.

Every review on here seems to be geared towards thier off road performance which seems to be a toss up. How about thier on road performance? The righter patern of the Goodyear makes me believe they would be quieter and better tracking on road.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you looked at the BFG A/T? They are great tires on and offroad. Rotate them often and you can get over 50k miles on them.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll also get over 50k on the KM2's as well, or at least I am and I wheel 5-6 times/month. I haven't heard too much about the Kevlar MT-R's and I've also had this debate. The KM2's have been excellent though so as of now I have no reason to switch when I go bigger. Hopefully someone will chime in about these new tires.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Jedi

It seems a lot is being said complimenting the new MT/R on their on-road characteristics as much as their off-road prowess, looking at the tread I would expect it to be very reasonable on the pavement.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
have you looked at the BFG A/T? They are great tires on and offroad. Rotate them often and you can get over 50k miles on them.
I'd considered the BFG A/T's as they're a great street tire and very capable on rocky surfaces. But in the Missouri clay they cake to easily to be effective off road. Hence my reluctance to buy them.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Within the last month, I installed a set of new 37x1250x17 Goodyear MT/R Kevlars and can't vouch for their off road manners yet, but I can tell you they are the quietest set of tires I've had on the JK and this is my fourth different set.

I started out with the stock X 16" Goodyears on steel rims, which were OK noise wise, "upgraded" to a set of Stock Sahara 18" rims with Duelers, which were a little louder and then to a set of Stock Rubi 17" rims with Stock Rubi Rubber and they were actually quieter than the Duelers. I really didn't expect the MT/Rs were going to be quieter than the three previous sets, but they are by far.

No idea how long they will last as I only have a little less than 500 highway miles on them at the moment.

-meljr
Old 07-11-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

MT/R are super quite on the road, gonna try them off-road next weekend
they are 20lbs lighter than the Toyo's...I am not sure how heavy the KM2s are

Old 07-11-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Junkie

Pick up a copy of JP mag this month and you can read a good few articles about these tires. I have the KM2s and can tell you they are pretty quiet and stick to everything. I love their ability! Don't have any experience with the MT/Rs.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Go mt/r

Originally Posted by dburgette
Pick up a copy of JP mag this month and you can read a good few articles about these tires. I have the KM2s and can tell you they are pretty quiet and stick to everything. I love their ability! Don't have any experience with the MT/Rs.
Hey Derek, good suggestion and great article!!!

I have had them both. They are both very good tires. I think you'll be happy with either. The MT/R's are quieter and the new Kevlar's do have significantly stronger sidewalls. Both wear extremely well, but my BFG's got cut up on the rocks a bit easier.

The BFG AT's are way under rated off road. They are incredible tires if you don't need a beefy tire.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
MT/R are super quite on the road, gonna try them off-road next weekend
they are 20lbs lighter than the Toyo's...I am not sure how heavy the KM2s are

Nice lookin rig and luvin the seat covers. Can we say "Jeep envy?"

Quick Reply: KM2 vs MTR w/ Kevelar - Which is better on road? Quieter?