Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

KM2 owners

Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by familytime
BFG KM2's seem to run smaller than any other tire on the market.If they would measure out closer to what it says on the side wall things would be different.35's measuring closer to 33's,37's measuring closer to 35's are a big deal.My Falken's are a very close to a true 37.I loved my KM2's awesome all around especially in deep snow
Before mounting my 285/75/17s , were exactly 33.75 inches tall. My 255/80s were exactly 33 in he's tall. Of course when they are mounted on the vehicle, they will be shorter. Once a month, I see some hillbilly complaining about it somewhere on thee internet.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJJK
Before mounting my 285/75/17s , were exactly 33.75 inches tall. My 255/80s were exactly 33 in he's tall. Of course when they are mounted on the vehicle, they will be shorter. Once a month, I see some hillbilly complaining about it somewhere on thee internet.
You're comparing apples to a hammer. The complaint is about the "inch" sized tires not holding up to their specified diameter (even unmounted). It also helps that both the tires you listed are "E" rated tires that would have less sidewall deflection.

I think most understand that a tire will not actually measure what is on the sidewall when mounted. The difference here is most tires only loose about 0.5-0.75". The KM2s start out with this under-size and once mounted are often 1-1.5" under the advertised diameter.

For me this isn't a deal breaker and I think they are pretty good tires. But for some is could be.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jnabird333
You're comparing apples to a hammer. The complaint is about the "inch" sized tires not holding up to their specified diameter (even unmounted). It also helps that both the tires you listed are "E" rated tires that would have less sidewall deflection. I think most understand that a tire will not actually measure what is on the sidewall when mounted. The difference here is most tires only loose about 0.5-0.75". The KM2s start out with this under-size and once mounted are often 1-1.5" under the advertised diameter. For me this isn't a deal breaker and I think they are pretty good tires. But for some is could be.
That's my point. KM2s do NOT start out undersized.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 AM
JK Super Freak

What the heck?! I don't care what a tire measures out at sitting in a warehouse.... It only matters once they're aired up and rolling down the highway . KM2's are a good tire but they're about the smallest rubbers on the market
Old 02-05-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nwapache
What the heck?! I don't care what a tire measures out at sitting in a warehouse.... It only matters once they're aired up and rolling down the highway . KM2's are a good tire but they're about the smallest rubbers on the market
I think differently.

There are too many variables. If you have a heavy rig and are aired down to say, 10PSI, ANY 37's are going to measure probably 34 or less. Does that mean they are undersized and should be called a 34? Well no.

To me, whatever a tire measures when mounted on a rim with no vehicle weight on them is a true tire size. Otherwise, factoring in vehicle weight and air pressure just involves too many variables.

Quick Reply: KM2 owners