Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

King Coilovers on Jk ​​​​​​​

Old 02-03-2020, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

For clarification, the bumps I was referring to were the terrain, not a bottomed out suspension sitting on bump stops Again, I've run mine with some fast desert racer types while shooting a commercial for KC and they were all impressed with how well it all worked, especially for a big JK in full dress. A suspension that really works is fun to watch in the big terrain, as they tend to float over the top, like a big boat in rough water it was designed for.

$45K for the suspension and axles? Seems a little on the high side without some additional goodies figured in.

Last edited by jordy; 02-04-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
It's all about set up, most coil over kits out there are poorly designed but give the customer the ability to run fancy shiny shocks. Coil overs and bypasses like pictured give you the ability to fine tune your set up where you can't with a conventional coil and shock set up. Most of the kits out there like the EVO have too little up travel in the system to really make the investment worth it. You really need to be around 6" of up travel in the system to keep the heavy JK from bottoming out, most EVO systems are riding right your 3.5"-4" of up travel which is fine for crawling but once you get some speed the shocks will bottom out. You are basically riding just below the bump zone if you have the bypass. Most people don't want to run the extra 2"-2.5" if lift to get the system in the center of the ride zone.

You also need to do some tuning when you get it installed to make it work like it should. EVO touts it has a special tuned king shock but it is the same progressive stack you see from any shock coming out of kings shop. EVO also uses a short 11" rear shock with fixed res that you can only get parts from EVO. I am a King dealer and they won't even sell me the special parts to rebuild them. Its mainly the body and shaft as the seal kits and valving are the same as the regular 2.0 shocks.

I would not even bother with the any of the bolt on kits like the Eco or Rebel, they are mainly for show. Accutune off-road has a decent kit and they actually do tune the shocks for your jeep, they might be worth talking to.

Most of the long arm kits out there are poorly designed. Only real decent one is from Genright and their elite kit is $$$$. Teraflex and RK long arms suck. The reason why most kits are poor is that they work around the fuel tank which is in the way for a well designed kit that has good clearance. Almost none of them replace axle control arm mounts either.

Another option you might look at is ORI struts as they are tunable and have a more simple set up if you don't want the go fast desert performance. They eliminate the need for limit straps, sway bars, and bump stops. They look expensive at first but are a cheaper alternative in the long run and are better for rock crawling.

Of course budget is something to look at a double shock set up with coil over and bypass with a long arm kit will cost you $25k unless you are doing it yourself then you will have about $10k in parts and about 100 hours of install time if you know what you are doing.

You might want to post up the rest of what you are planning like tire size and axles to get a good idea of what you are looking for.
Good luck.
Nice
Old 12-08-2021, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late input, but an awesome overview of coilovers thread.
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: King Coilovers on Jk ​​​​​​​