Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

King Coil Overs

Old 03-10-2012, 09:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Coil Overs

Have King 2.0 coil overs and I am getting really bad spring rub on the front driver side. It makes an awful noise.

Anybody else have this problem?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Freak

rubs on the frame? what mounts are you using?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

I know that on my EVO Double Throwdown set up that my sway bar links have an intentional bend to prevent any rubbing on the coils. Not sure about your set up, but could this be a possibility of a potential rubbing/contact area?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepJKer
Have King 2.0 coil overs and I am getting really bad spring rub on the front driver side. It makes an awful noise.

Anybody else have this problem?
more than likely, the coil is rubbing the timing rings. this is common and, you can help mitigate it by rotating the two coils are aligned in such a way that there termination points meet up. it's not a guaranteed fix but, it does seem to help.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am running the Rebel front coilover kit. The lower spring rubs on the shock body just above the end cap. The lower spring rate is 250 and the upper is 200.

I talked to King and they pretty much said it was common. It's awfully annoying. You would think spending this amount of money on a shock it would not do this.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Trade off

Unfortunately, even with the performance gains you get by running coilovers, there can be some downsides like this at times. The length of the coils can mean there is some slop (not a pretty term) and even my EVO DTD can produce a little noise from the coils compressing and unloading. At least you know it's not the coilovers contacting axle, steering, or swaybar components which is always bad for business.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I know that on my EVO Double Throwdown set up that my sway bar links have an intentional bend to prevent any rubbing on the coils. Not sure about your set up, but could this be a possibility of a potential rubbing/contact area?

Wow!!! That looks like a very costly setup.

Quick Reply: King Coil Overs