Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Keep 35's or return to 33's?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crasher
If you didn't reflash your computer for the 35" tires, then the computer will indicate a lower figure, but you are actually traveling 6% further than the speedo says, so your mpg is 6% higher than indicated, which would be about 11.5. If you keep the 35s and go offroad, install c-gussets as they are prone to bending with 35" tires. I wouldn't worry about the ball joints. They are pretty poor quality and will go out sooner or later anyway.
Thanks, I've already made the changes with my Superchips. I added gussets last year.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

What PSI are you running in the 35's? That could be a factor in the "rougher ride" feel that you're getting. Generally, the larger the tire, the lower PSI you should be running for a smooth ride.

*edit* - just saw that you were going with 30 PSI. If you can find a clear area of street after that snow clears, try a chalk test with them to see what you should go with.

Last edited by Merlin4979; 01-13-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Just checked again and they're at 29. Don't get me wrong, they're not unbearable. I'm driving across Canada this summer and since I just put these on and haven't paid for them yet or sold my 33's I need to make my mind up sooner than later whether I'm gonna keep these or run my 33's.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler

I've had the 35's on for a day. The actual height of my 33" (285/70r17) duratracs was 31.75" at 30 psi. The actual height of the 35's at 30 psi is 33.5". The difference being 1.75". Cut that in half roughly for height difference.

What I've noticed is that my mileage (according to the computer which I know can be flawed) has gone from 18.3 liters per hundred km to 19.7 liters per hundred km or 12.8 mpg to 11.9 mpg In the city (not a big deal).
First of all I think it is interesting that your 33's measure less than 32". I think it might be a factor of your rim width. Your 35's look great, but I think only you can decide if the additional stress on the drivetrain, plus the need to regear and the cost of the tire carrier/bumper is worth it. I'm sure either tire is great in the snow since you already had Duratracs from before. I think your rig looked good with 33's so whatever!

Since you are doing more "overlander" type stuff, consider that most Land Rovers etc on the long cross-country expeditions rarely run more than 31 and 32 inch tires. Check out the monster meats the guys in this video have!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmrg1r2uEKo&feature=related Did you re-flash the tire size with your programmer after the switcheroo? Oops - just saw that you did. About 4 posts beat me after I started typing this!

Last edited by PG-JKU; 01-13-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Keep 35's or return to 33's?