Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

KBD Fenders, better deal than MCE Fenders?

Old 11-05-2020 | 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

I have been eyeing these flares most of this year. I have one question/concern to those who have the KBD's, is the surface really shiny? Looking on line it does look like they are smooth and have kind of a glossy finish. I know they are paintable or could be bed lined but that drives the total cost up.

Thanks for any help/response.

Old 11-06-2020 | 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, they appear to be smooth and shiny. I would have to imagine, if you were to spray them with a bed liner or raptor liner, that the finish may come of if flexed too much. Like bumping up against a tree or rock. Painting may be the way to go
Old 11-06-2020 | 09:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by bdavid50
I know they are paintable or could be bed lined but that drives the total cost up.
Originally Posted by Reddout99
Yes, they appear to be smooth and shiny. I would have to imagine, if you were to spray them with a bed liner or raptor liner, that the finish may come of if flexed too much. Like bumping up against a tree or rock. Painting may be the way to go
Totally agree on the bedliner on plastic. When I Raptor-lined my tub I inquired about covering the plastic molding in the rear as well. They were quick to highlight that it wasn't really meant for plastic but that if I was going to try anyhow to use their good primer first. I decided it wasn't worth trying. When I built my trailer I used a couple plastic square caps in tube ends in 4 places. I primed those with typical rattle can and bedilined over em.....and the finish did not last.

I think if you go with them it would be best to accept them as they are.
Old 11-06-2020 | 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions. I gave thought to bedliner but agree that flexing would probably cause it to release or flake off. I'm not fond of the shiny so obviously I'll paint them. I've also considered possibly having them soda blasted which would texture them and make them less shiny although I don't know what soda blasting would do to polyurethane. So I'll have to research that. Professional painting just drives the total cost up so it needs to be rattle can or something else.

Quick Reply: KBD Fenders, better deal than MCE Fenders?