Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

KBD Fenders, better deal than MCE Fenders?

Old 06-04-2020 | 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hollonm
Well, glad I could help you guys out too. If I went metal, it would be MetalCloak so I can still remove them pre-trail. But with these at 1/2 the price of the MCE fenders, I think I'll give them a shot.
Keep us updated, I was looking at the MCE's also, but after seeing this thread these look pretty decent for the price and now may be what I will get...,
Old 06-26-2020 | 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 07-09-2020 | 10:44 AM
JK Newbie
Veteran: Marine Corp

I never got an email back from them, and I did check my spam folder to be sure. For me, that's never a good sign. I suppose I could call them, but...

EDIT: I checked out the link again for S&G's... I don't remember seeing "notes" before, but I could be mistaken- it say's they're 2" narrower than factory flares. So for anyone residing in states who hate freedom, these would be a no-go.

Last edited by Yemx; 07-09-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Additional Info to add
Old 07-12-2020 | 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

I have the kbd’s sitting in my garage. I will be putting them on pretty soon. I will post pics.
The following users liked this post:
Reddout99 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020 | 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pics with any issues you had with the install would be helpful too.
thanks
The following users liked this post:
The Rookie (07-14-2020)
Old 07-31-2020 | 09:33 PM
JK Newbie

I put on these KBD fenders a few weeks ago after scouring the web for flare options. I never found any other options that were in this price range and seemed solid, just cheap plastic options.
https://www.kbdbodykits.com/jeep-wra...der-flares-kit

I really like the KBD flares. They are polyurethance rubber but they are pretty stiff and look clean. There was a minor build quality issue on one flare when they pulled it from the mold but it wasn't a big enough deal for me to ship it back. They are narrow in the front as others have mentioned, definitely not factory width, but I wanted them narrow.

The screws they ship are not what you're looking for. I used this screw from McMaster:
https://www.mcmaster.com/90064A792/

For the install I trimmed the factory fenders to work with the new flares and it took some time but turned out well. Getting the corner screws in was a bit of a challenge but they all went in with some encouragement.

Old 08-01-2020 | 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the review. What was the issue with the supplied screws? From their install video, it looks like there are some metal inserts that go into the factory holes and then screw into those.
What size tires are you running? Look like 37s.

More close-up type pics would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by Reddout99; 08-01-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2020 | 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

The supplied screws are bright zinc phillips. They work but IMO really take away from the look. The inserts are Nylon and they work fine with the McMaster screws I linked.

Tires are 37s. More detailed pics below. I got the version w/ running lights. I trimmed the rear fender for more clearance so the flares will actually hit first. You can see the trimmed stock fenders. Not perfect but it seemed better than removing the fenders and I wasn't going to spend the extra on custom fenders.

The first photo is the quality issue I mentioned, nothing major just some material missing in that corner. The photo of the gold large fender washers are something I added to secure the stock fenders.

trimmed rear wheel well

note I saved the two tabs from the stock rear fender to help secure them

another view of rear, you can see the tab, there's also a slight gap in the back there may be a better trim line here to minimize this gap

rear

Old 08-01-2020 | 10:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

For the money, I think those look really good. In the rear I think you're better served just pulling the liner out. Up front, if you ever can spare just a bit, you'll be amazed how much a nice 1-piece liner can change the look, especially with flat fenders. There is nothing wrong with the function of trimmed factory liner, but there are so many affordable liners now. Just my 2c as it's a big focal point now that things are opened up a lot more in that area. Thank you for following up on that install. Nice for people to see the pictures.
Old 08-01-2020 | 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the additional pics. Looks like the flares fit & flow real well. I see what you mean about going with the McMaster fasteners. The black hex head is definitely a better look than the zinc phillips head.

Quick Reply: KBD Fenders, better deal than MCE Fenders?