Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

KBD Fenders, better deal than MCE Fenders?

Old 05-24-2020 | 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default KBD Fenders, better deal than MCE Fenders?

What is your take on these fenders? I specifically want something that is NOT metal, as I've already smacked a fender on the trail before and really don't want that force translating to the body...non-metal fenders typically just flex out of the away or tear off entirely. As for synthetic materials, I also don't want the "table look" of the big, fat, flat bushwackers...it is one of the ugliest mods made for Jeeps IMHO. I've been looking at the MCE fenders, they seem to be pretty popular and fairly priced around $400-600 for a complete set. But now I've found these. KBD seems to be a bodykit manufacturer that happens to make Jeep fenders as well. They're urethane, they're cheap ($250 for a complete set), and they include the stupid little marker light (optional for an extra $15) that many of us have to maintain to be street legal. What do you think?

https://www.kbdbodykits.com/jeep-wra...der-flares-kit
Old 05-25-2020 | 02:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Hmmm, those look halfway decent, almost like any of the tube fenders but plastic. I just put on MCE narrows myself and they came with the LED lights at no extra charge. The rear flares are almost identical to the factory ones that I cut down but the fronts are quite a bit narrower. I've not hit them on anything but I did choose plastic because it was significantly cheaper than my alternative picks (nemesis flares or Metalcloak overland)
Old 05-25-2020 | 05:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Don't have these and haven't looked at them before, but those look pretty good. It seems they nailed both the look and appropriate price range for a plastic flare (IMO). Normally I'd say $250 seems cheap and you get what you pay for, but for $600+ you get POS Bushwackers that aren't any higher quality. Watched the little video on the website and install looks dang easy. I don't understand why Bushwacker (I had some years ago) had to make things do damn complex.
Old 05-25-2020 | 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Those plastic ones are probably one of the few plastic fenders that I like. I will say however that if you get good metal fenders they will be plenty strong enough to take abuse and not let the body take the damage. I use the metalcloak fenders that are reinforced to the body and have had encounters with rocks without any damage. Granted, there’s a big price difference too... like plastic fenders, not all metal ones are created equal.
Old 05-25-2020 | 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

I don't have personal experience with them, but I was considering them when I was looking

Last edited by barongan; 05-25-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2020 | 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the post. I have been considering flares, amongst other things, and these look the part and the price is great
Old 05-25-2020 | 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Well, glad I could help you guys out too. If I went metal, it would be MetalCloak so I can still remove them pre-trail. But with these at 1/2 the price of the MCE fenders, I think I'll give them a shot.
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:48 PM
JK Newbie
Veteran: Marine Corp

I've just emailed them to confirm whether or not these are factory width. They don't look like it from the few vids I've found, or the pics... But I just want to make sure. I despise the idiocy of "tire stick out" laws, but unless I want to be hassled, slapped with a repair order and/or replace the fenders at a later date, I'll just begrudgingly obey the stupid law. I'll post when I get an email from them.
Old 05-26-2020 | 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yemx
I've just emailed them to confirm whether or not these are factory width. They don't look like it from the few vids I've found, or the pics... But I just want to make sure. I despise the idiocy of "tire stick out" laws, but unless I want to be hassled, slapped with a repair order and/or replace the fenders at a later date, I'll just begrudgingly obey the stupid law. I'll post when I get an email from them.
how far the tires stick out is also relative to your tire/wheel setup (ie. backspacing/offset). but, this is a good example of why i refuse to title my vehicles in MD
Old 05-26-2020 | 04:25 PM
JK Newbie
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Hollonm
how far the tires stick out is also relative to your tire/wheel setup (ie. backspacing/offset). but, this is a good example of why i refuse to title my vehicles in MD
Oh, for sure. But a good start point is whether or not fenders are factory width or not. If I had other options for vehicle registration, I would pursue them. I plan on moving as soon as I'm able.

Quick Reply: KBD Fenders, better deal than MCE Fenders?