Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Kayak roof rack

Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by res6cue
Thanks for the ideas. I looked at Thule and Yakima gutter mounts. Spoke to customer service at both and they advised that the gutter mounts were only recommended to carry lightweight items such as skis and advised against using kayak attachments with them. That's why I'm still looking. They told me since the Jeep gutters are non structural that they can't be used for much.
Yep, been there, done that!

Although I did carry my canoe up on hardtop gutter rack for a couple of trips with no problems, I didn't want to push my luck too long. Thus, the rack above. Let us know what you come up with.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thule makes " Artifical Rain Gutter Foot Packs" These would be through-bolted on the hard top. They have rubber gaskets for sealing, cost about $ 65 for set of 4 last I knew.Being cheap and contrary, I made my own for the back of my JKU hardtop ,secured with stainless steel 5/16 bolts and a backing plate on the inside. I do use the front rain gutters of the top. (Not Freedom panel gutters). Works for me ,as Thule racks have a low profile needed to get in garage.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to get a 12" kayak, and am wondering if I can get by without a rack to transport. With no top on the Jeep, couldn't I just tie down to the front bumper/light bar, the back hitch, and then use tie down around the roll bars by the sound bar? Probably add some padding near the windshield to keep things bumping around. Can those with kayaks tell me if this won't necessarily work?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 PM
JK Newbie

Malone seawing kayak carrier works great and is super easy/secure hold
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-798798145.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	440172
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1926696185.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	440173  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Former Member

Yakima track Thule foot and arms on hard top or foam a and straps for bikini top...

Wed took the kids out

Old 04-01-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

I ended up going with the Malone HandiRack. Well constructed and easy to put on the Jeep. Single strap with a cam buckle and then you inflate the tubes. Picked it up new on eBay for $89. Used it today to bring my new kayak home. Drove about 40 miles home, driving anywhere between 55 & 60 mph most of the way. There was a very strong crosswind too. Also secured the kayak with a bow and stern line (to the rad mount & the trailer hitch) and it stayed very secure. Stopped and checked it a couple times, but didn't move and no fear of it coming loose. For the price, this is a simple solution and I'm happy with it for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	441404
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ucitybone
I'm looking to get a 12" kayak, and am wondering if I can get by without a rack to transport. With no top on the Jeep, couldn't I just tie down to the front bumper/light bar, the back hitch, and then use tie down around the roll bars by the sound bar? Probably add some padding near the windshield to keep things bumping around. Can those with kayaks tell me if this won't necessarily work?
This is what I was hoping to get away with this summer with a 10' kayak. Anyone tried this?
Old 09-11-2020, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

Forget about your car model. My personal suggestion is the Handirack universal inflatable bars which is compatible with any model of cars and able to carry a 13.5' kayak. The main feature is it is easy to install and take less than 15 minutes to install. Up to 180 pounds of load capacity makes the carrier enough for carrying two kayaks! Not only your kayak but it also able to carry other heavyweight essentials. You may wonder knowing that the versatile roof rack doesn't require any crossbars to install. I've found one downside- your car can be damaged due to accidental deflation.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Here's a shot of my homemade one

Quick Reply: Kayak roof rack