Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

K&N Drop-In Filter

Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Drop-In Filter

Okay living at 6,000 feet and spending half my time at 9,000-12,000 feet I knew anything to get more air into the engine would help. I replaced the factory air filter with the K&N drop in and an immediate improvement.

Maybe at sea-level you guys haven't noticed any improvement (I read many posts from people who said "no difference"). Totally wrong. With my 6 speed I noticed immediate harder pulling and much quicker RPM climbs to shift points. No it didn't turn it into a Corvette, but it is definitely noticable.

So for the folks asking or wondering about the drop in filter, it's worth the $50.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 PM
JK Freak

I had one with a GMC 2 door with a 4.3L. Kept clean (not an easy task in northern Alberta) it ran quite well with a noticeable improvement in pull and/or mpg. A tiny bit noisier though.

Still, better than stock air filter and reuseable. Not a bad investment.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Okay living at 6,000 feet and spending half my time at 9,000-12,000 feet I knew anything to get more air into the engine would help. I replaced the factory air filter with the K&N drop in and an immediate improvement.

Maybe at sea-level you guys haven't noticed any improvement (I read many posts from people who said "no difference"). Totally wrong. With my 6 speed I noticed immediate harder pulling and much quicker RPM climbs to shift points. No it didn't turn it into a Corvette, but it is definitely noticable.

So for the folks asking or wondering about the drop in filter, it's worth the $50.
ive been thinkin about getting a drop in..do you know the exact part number?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Do these drop in filters require oiling like all the other K&N filters I have used in the past.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in Colorado for a few years with a different Jeep. I think the K&N may have helped more at altitue.

The part number is 33-2364

Yes you have to oil it.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm in Ohio........I think I am below sea level Anyway, I got one of these and I did notice a difference for the better. I like the sound better. How ever, I saved my OEM filter since it only had 5,000 miles on it. I put this (OEM) back in for a bit while I cleaned my K&N and got about 1.5 miles to the gallon better gas mileage
I will be putting it back in though.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by REVERUP
Do these drop in filters require oiling like all the other K&N filters I have used in the past.
Yes they do, be careful not to put to much on though.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Just put one in mine. I sold my Airaid and replaced it with the stock box with a K&N(I'm going with a snorkel), I'll let you know how it feels.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

yep, the same gas mileage change happened to me. i dropped in the k&n and lost about 1mpg. maybe it makes sense.... if the filter allow the engine to breathe better... the more air, the more fuel required?

with that said, the engine response is enough better, i like the k&n...
Old 08-07-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Super Freak

In my previous vehicles, a 4.6 F150 and a 5.4 F150, yes.
In my wife's previous vehicle, a 5.4 Expedition, yes.

In my JK, not that I can tell.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop-In Filter