Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

K&N Drop In Air Filter

Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by untold
I just went out and look .... guess what? its was backwards. so i pulled it and re-oil it and put it back in the right way. I dont seen a arrow, too.
This morning after the filter flip last night, it feels more lively. sounded better too.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by untold
This morning after the filter flip last night, it feels more lively. sounded better too.
I just checked mine, same thing, fins down, screen up - air and dirct comes in from below- are you sure about this as the factory filter I replaced was finned side down, flat screen up also?

Last edited by Baldguy01; 10-12-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

The thick part goes down on the K&N. It gathers more air through the pleats when the pleats are on the outside air side. Look at the cone filters, the air comes from the outside (pleated) to the inside, the smooth screen on the inside prevents collapse from vacuum.

Though it is not specifically stated look at the below link. It states to clean the filter from the inside out and it shows the hose being used on the flat side.

h**p://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm
Old 10-12-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

I'm with you Medio! the heavy pleats need to be down so they can trrap the dirt between. Every one I ever put in was this way.....I will check for that air arrow they spoke of though to be 100% positive. I think most of these guys had it right the first time!

Last edited by Baldguy01; 10-12-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mediocre69
The thick part goes down on the K&N. It gathers more air through the pleats when the pleats are on the outside air side. Look at the cone filters, the air comes from the outside (pleated) to the inside, the smooth screen on the inside prevents collapse from vacuum.

Though it is not specifically stated look at the below link. It states to clean the filter from the inside out and it shows the hose being used on the flat side.

h**p://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm
Agreed, every K&N filter I have used the thick part "drops" in, flat on top. I will go out and look at mine, but I think by flipping it you will see it doesn't exactly fit right and will slide, flat side up it forms a good seal.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baldguy01
I just checked mine, same thing, fins down, screen up - air and dirct comes in from below- are you sure about this as the factory filter I replaced was finned side down, flat screen up also?
Yes.. my factory filter.. the air flow moves up toward the thick end of the filter.. The K&N doesn't have airflow arrows, but the factor filter did..
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine with the thicker side down. Seems to be running ok and reading the other responses in this thread seems to be the correct way round although there are no instructions or indications on the filter that i could see to confirm this setting.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	TAK-N33-2364.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	95289

See the pic... This is the way I installed it.. I had it backwards before...

This way gets me more mileage and more get up and go.. However, if you open the air box, this way looks like the wrong way at first glance.

Sorry for all the confusion.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcam93
Attachment 95289

See the pic... This is the way I installed it.. I had it backwards before...

This way gets me more mileage and more get up and go.. However, if you open the air box, this way looks like the wrong way at first glance.

Sorry for all the confusion.
I believe that this is incorrect. the pleats should be down and the rubber seal should fit snugly over the lip on the bottom of the box.

Right???
Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

I use a paper filter now and thought I would present an argument for them over the K&N filters. I was playing in the mud last weekend, and was hitting a 2' deep mud puddle at about 15 mph. A little fast, but it was a Jeep hosted event and figured they would have rigged it to not be able to damage anything.

Anyway, I thought wrong. Not only did I flood my fan motor with mud and burn it out (replaced for free under warranty), but my air box got muddy. Very muddy. This watery mud flooded the air box to the point where I had to remove it and hose it out. Thankfully, the absorbency of the paper filter stopped any water from going through, although there is a hand sized mud imprint in it now. I would hate to think of what would have happened with a less absorbent filter.

I have nothing against K&N, and ran their filters on all my street cars. If your in the water though, it's something to consider.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop In Air Filter