Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

K&N Drop In Air Filter

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcam93
I wonder if pulling the negative battery terminal might allow the computer to recalibrate based on the better air? I like that I have more get up and go.. it's noticeable... but, I can't stand to loose the milegage .. What exactly does the Canbus computer do, and do you think it would help???
It is my understanding Canbus basically does everything. I believe when you turn the key to start the engine you are telling the Canbus you want the engine to start and the Canbus chips in turn start the engine. If you are curious try this, turn the key to start like normal but don't hold it until the engine catches, let it go early, bet she fires right up anyway.

Pulling the negative battery terminal and leaving it off for 10 - 15 minutes doesn't hurt a thing and sorta does the same thing as rebooting a Windows computer. It enables the system to immediately restart learning the various engine parameters and optimizing operating characteristics for your driving style automatically incorporating things like the K&N filter or a new cat back exhaust. It's a place to start. Just my two centavos
Old 10-02-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default K&N

I have had a drop in for a few months now, I believe I accelerate a little better and my MPG went up 1 to 18 with a/c driving. I had a good rebate check from PeP Boys so I decided to "invest" it by using a re-useable filter.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

I have used K&N air filter for a long time. You are not going to feel a great gain in horse power like some think. But it will breathe better. If you are using it with the factory oiled it will be OK, if you bought it used and some one oiled it that can cause problems for the computer in the vehicle if it is over oiled. My suggestion to you is to put back in the stock air filter and see if your problems go away. This way you will be able to see if it is the filter some how causing the problem. Let us know what happens.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone.. turned out that I had put the K&N in backwards... I took it out an cleaned it.. put it in the opposite direction and boom... lots better miles...

... hit 23+ on an Interstate run.. which is about a mile to mile and half better than the factory...
Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone.. turned out that I had put the K&N in backwards... I took it out an cleaned it.. put it in the opposite direction and boom... lots better miles...

... hit 23+ on an Interstate run.. which is about a mile to mile and half better than the factory...
I just bought one and will install it in the next couple of days since i have to pick it up because they didnt have it in stock.

Do i just unclip the cover to the air filter box and pull the old one out and drop this one in? How did you mix up which way it went in? Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by turtoni
I just bought one and will install it in the next couple of days since i have to pick it up because they didnt have it in stock.

Do i just unclip the cover to the air filter box and pull the old one out and drop this one in? How did you mix up which way it went in? Thanks for any advice.
Well, it was really odd.. The thick part of the K&N goes up.. think that since the air comes in from the bottom/side.. If you look at the factor filter it is the same way... the thick part goes up .. which is the direction of the airflow...
Old 10-11-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, it was really odd.. The thick part of the K&N goes up.. think that since the air comes in from the bottom/side.. If you look at the factor filter it is the same way... the thick part goes up .. which is the direction of the airflow...
sorry about being redundant... but the thick part goes up.. in the direction of the airflow..
Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default upside down K&N

You are not alone-Put mine in last week-after I read your post-went and checked mine-had thick part down-just seemed more natural to drop it in that way-pulled it-cleaned it and re-oiled a little-thick part up this time. I looked at it without my glasses and did not see a directional arrow for air flow like the stock filter. Wonder why it matters?
Old 10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CLOTAGAMES
You are not alone-Put mine in last week-after I read your post-went and checked mine-had thick part down-just seemed more natural to drop it in that way-pulled it-cleaned it and re-oiled a little-thick part up this time. I looked at it without my glasses and did not see a directional arrow for air flow like the stock filter. Wonder why it matters?
I just went out and look .... guess what? its was backwards. so i pulled it and re-oil it and put it back in the right way. I dont seen a arrow, too.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

From all I've heard you Have to do the math, the guage & the math are never the same for me.

Quick Reply: K&N Drop In Air Filter