Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

is a K&N air filter worth it?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No not really! The oil on the filter gets the maf sensor dirty and will set off the check engine light and give faulty readings and the engine will run lean telling the computer to dump more fuel.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I installed a K&N about 2k miles back (have about 4400 now) and saw an immediate 1 mpg increase in the mixed mileage. I average now 18mpg to 19mpg mixed mpg.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a cyclonic pre filter went with ten inch model to match rev range
Old 08-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by nateo1979
No not really! The oil on the filter gets the maf sensor dirty and will set off the check engine light and give faulty readings and the engine will run lean telling the computer to dump more fuel.
Lol no it won't. If the filter is oiled properly and allowed to dry before re-installing, it won't cause any issues
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not going to debate the perceived increase in MPG or HP. The one thing I can say with certainty is that I have cleaned the same filter for 12 6k oil changes. The K&N filter costs about 50 bucks and the cleaner kit about $12. I recently purchased a second cleaner kit so I have about $75 in filter expense. Regular filters cost about $20. Assuming you change your filter every oil change that is $240 worth of regular filters. Do you own math based on how often you change your filter.

Sure it takes some time to clean the filter but time spent with the Jeep is me time.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
I'm not going to debate the perceived increase in MPG or HP. The one thing I can say with certainty is that I have cleaned the same filter for 12 6k oil changes. The K&N filter costs about 50 bucks and the cleaner kit about $12. I recently purchased a second cleaner kit so I have about $75 in filter expense. Regular filters cost about $20. Assuming you change your filter every oil change that is $240 worth of regular filters. Do you own math based on how often you change your filter.

Sure it takes some time to clean the filter but time spent with the Jeep is me time.
I had once contemplated the idea of purchasing a second K&N so I could clean one and let it air while I used the second filter in case I needed to drive immediately and couldn't wait. I just hadn't pulled the trigger on that yet as I haven't had to clean this one yet...
Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maverick17
I had once contemplated the idea of purchasing a second K&N so I could clean one and let it air while I used the second filter in case I needed to drive immediately and couldn't wait. I just hadn't pulled the trigger on that yet as I haven't had to clean this one yet...
I use my stock filter as the spare.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
I use my stock filter as the spare.
That's a good idea... hmmm...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the K&N is worth it. After I installed it, it felt like it livened up the throttle a bit plus I've got a TBS too. At first I noticed a bit of gains, but now that I'm used to the set up I don't notice them that much anymore.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260

Lol no it won't. If the filter is oiled properly and allowed to dry before re-installing, it won't cause any issues
I had a k&n on my 2002 f150 and a check engine code kept saying maf sensor was bad so I bought some maf sensor cleaner to spray it off when it threw the code, that's what the stealership said the reason was! I can be wrong maybe it was a piece and that's why I traded it in for my JK LOL!!!

Last edited by nateo1979; 08-22-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: is a K&N air filter worth it?