Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

K&N Air Filter

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the ISO 5011 test of several air filters.

http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

For some areas I think a K&N would be fine.

However I live out in dusty West Texas and after trying one on my Vette and seeing dirt that past the filter I just wont run one in anything here.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boy, the timing on this is great..i just repalced the stock paper with a puralotor air filter..they didn't have the K&N in stock..i was willing to spend the 50 bucks on the K&N, but really opnly knew them by name..what makes them special? are they oiled(what does that mean? and do i replace them? or just re-oil?
Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

K&N stands behind their filter which can be cleaned after use. Your talking a lifetime product that will last as long as you own your Jeep. As far as cleaning, they claim 50,000 miles and you ca wash/re-oil the filter and good as new.

K&N is very receptive to issues and their customer service bar none. I should know, I dealt with them on my install and they were excellent to walk me through some install issues (which was more my novice inexperience in installing the kit).
Old 09-20-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scarp

For some areas I think a K&N would be fine.

However I live out in dusty West Texas and after trying one on my Vette and seeing dirt that past the filter I just wont run one in anything here.

After looking at that test and graphs did you buy the AC Delco Air Filter?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had them in my last 2 trucks so went with one for my jk. They are easy to clean, saves me from buying replacements, and seem to breath better than paper.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scarp

Thanks for sharing the link! Definitely has some good info.

The flow numbers are real interesting and the difference from a K&N to a paper filter at cruise rpms is about the same as 5-600 feet of altitude. The MAP sensor is going to diminish any potential gains, although you might gain some throttle response. Even at WOT the gains from the K&N would only be worth 5 to 6 hp and then it comes into question how the A/F tables are calculated when in open loop.

Also, the AFE filter tested seems to be a good compromise between filtration and flow. Also, with the bigger footprint of the AFE media drop in for the JK it seems like the way to fly. All this is based off the thinking that the AC Delco Filter is likely to be the same as the stock MOPAR filer for the JK.

Anyway, interesting stuff.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPop
Thanks for sharing the link! Definitely has some good info.

The flow numbers are real interesting and the difference from a K&N to a paper filter at cruise rpms is about the same as 5-600 feet of altitude. The MAP sensor is going to diminish any potential gains, although you might gain some throttle response. Even at WOT the gains from the K&N would only be worth 5 to 6 hp and then it comes into question how the A/F tables are calculated when in open loop.

Also, the AFE filter tested seems to be a good compromise between filtration and flow. Also, with the bigger footprint of the AFE media drop in for the JK it seems like the way to fly. All this is based off the thinking that the AC Delco Filter is likely to be the same as the stock MOPAR filer for the JK.

Anyway, interesting stuff.
Well there is no doubt that a K&N flows better however you give up filtration.

You got to rob from petter to pay paul.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:43 AM
JK Super Freak

So what's the verdict? Should I stick with the Mopar air filter or go to K&N?

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter