Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

K&N Air Filter

Old 08-29-2009, 04:02 PM
yra
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter

Should I change to a K&N air filter? Doing mostly highway driving, going wheelin on dirt roads only 2-3 times a year when I go fishing. What are the pro's vs cons anyone?
thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, crap. Did you just open a can of worms!

No disrespect, but do a search on "drop in filters" or "oiled filters" or such. There's a wide range of opinions.

I like the K&N drop in filter WAY better than stock or a CAI. Here's mine opinion (for what it's worth).
  • Most people don't seem to buy into the "oil attracts dirt" philosophy. I do. Simple test. Put a drop of oil on your hood and drive a dusty road. That's why almost all high-dust vehicles (motorcycles, ATVs, sand buggies, etc.) use oil bath or oil soaked filters.
  • Greater air flow = better engine performance. Maybe not by much, but some none-the-less. You'll see a lot of opinions that "more airflow = more dirt. Period". However, see the first bullet!
  • CAIs are a disaster just waiting to happen. Another Google search you can do is "hydro locked engine" (or variants). Then see how many were using a CAI when it happened. A CAI does nothing to stop water from being sucked in great quantities into your engine.
  • Don't know if this has been proven (like everything else I said so far), but I do know for sure oil repels water, therefore a K&N (or any other oil-soaked filter) should do a better job at keeping water out of the engine, especially when used with the stock air box.
  • If you replace your paper air filter, you need to put it somewhere, right? Here's one indisputable fact: disposable paper air filters take more landfill space than cleanable ones do. Just clean your K&N responsibly (not down the storm drains).
Opinions are like a-holes - everybody who has one IS one (or something like that).

You are doing the right thing by asking the question. Don't feel bad if you can't figure out the answer - there is no "right" answer. Just get all the facts and opinions you can and make your own judgment.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide!
Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with AZ above. You will find some people like K&N and some people hate them. I like them and have one in my JK. I just cleaned mine. I had the stock paper filter in for a few days till I got around to reoiling my K&N and swapping it back in. I lost about a MPG going back and forth to work. I got it back when I put the K&N back in.

Before anyone says it the stock paper filter I used is clean and has only 2k miles on it before I swapped it out.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll let you know when I get mine...supposed to be in @ Advance Auto tomorrow morning.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

After 25k miles I replaced my paper filter with the K & N drop in filter. From what I feel there is no noticeable change in power. However, I can sense that my Jeep "breaths" better than when I had the factory paper filter -- when accelerating and when at cruising rpms.

I do suggest the K & N.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I agree with RN seems to run a little better
Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

i asked the same ? and got a million different opions! lol

but i went with the k&n drop in, not for its "amazing gians in power''....or its "better gas milelage", but i went with with cause paper filters are 12 bucks and the k&n was 50. it will pay for its self in a bit.

to tell the truth it didnt improve my gas mileage or power. but its going to save me money, and the oil attracts dirt and dust so hopefully its sticking to the filter and not going in my engine.

edit: and "AZ" told me bout the oil thing, i didnt even think bout it till he said that.

Last edited by joes-jk; 09-19-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Jedi

Ok you guys talked me into it
Old 09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you guys remove the little stock snorkle too?

Flash
Old 09-19-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Oh, crap. Did you just open a can of worms!

No disrespect, but do a search on "drop in filters" or "oiled filters" or such. There's a wide range of opinions.

I like the K&N drop in filter WAY better than stock or a CAI. Here's mine opinion (for what it's worth).
  • Most people don't seem to buy into the "oil attracts dirt" philosophy. I do. Simple test. Put a drop of oil on your hood and drive a dusty road. That's why almost all high-dust vehicles (motorcycles, ATVs, sand buggies, etc.) use oil bath or oil soaked filters.
  • Greater air flow = better engine performance. Maybe not by much, but some none-the-less. You'll see a lot of opinions that "more airflow = more dirt. Period". However, see the first bullet!
  • CAIs are a disaster just waiting to happen. Another Google search you can do is "hydro locked engine" (or variants). Then see how many were using a CAI when it happened. A CAI does nothing to stop water from being sucked in great quantities into your engine.
  • Don't know if this has been proven (like everything else I said so far), but I do know for sure oil repels water, therefore a K&N (or any other oil-soaked filter) should do a better job at keeping water out of the engine, especially when used with the stock air box.
  • If you replace your paper air filter, you need to put it somewhere, right? Here's one indisputable fact: disposable paper air filters take more landfill space than cleanable ones do. Just clean your K&N responsibly (not down the storm drains).
Opinions are like a-holes - everybody who has one IS one (or something like that).

You are doing the right thing by asking the question. Don't feel bad if you can't figure out the answer - there is no "right" answer. Just get all the facts and opinions you can and make your own judgment.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide!
This is a great summary of both sides of the issue.

BTW, I have always used a K&N in all my Jeeps. If nothing else it's a lot more cost effective than the a CAI, without the risks and the engine sound (some like some don't).

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter