Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

K&N Air Filter

Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a cold air intake on mine but I took it out so I can play in the water. If I ever build a rig that will be strictly for rocks then I would do what I saw someone else do on here. He installed a hood louvres on it backwards so cold air from outside the hood was coming in directly over the intake.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

I ran an Airaid on my 09 and I am not sure as to how much "cold" air it took in, but I never saw one darn advantage, just a lot of money wasted.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ffhockey98
With either the K&N or airaid how concerned should I be about hydrolocking the engine. I'm thinking the stock air box offers better protection from water??
You should be concerned if you like to play in water and mud. The stock box will provide better protection than most CAI's on the market...but still not great for protection against hydrolocking. I just replaced my Airraid CAI for my snorkel before I went to Whipsaw with a group of JK owners. I followed 2 other Rubi's threw this hole but I got caught in a deeper rut and it threw me deeper and sideways and over my stock airbox location. If I had just stock box, or CAI system...Bam...hydrolocked would have occurred. but I was fortunate that I swapped to an AEV snorkel.

If you are a person that likes mud/water, you seriously should look at investing in a snorkel great insurance vs.hydrolocking on the trail and having the added expense of towing out of the bush and then the cost of an engine rebuild or new motor.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevyJKU08
You should be concerned if you like to play in water and mud. The stock box will provide better protection than most CAI's on the market...but still not great for protection against hydrolocking. I just replaced my Airraid CAI for my snorkel before I went to Whipsaw with a group of JK owners. I followed 2 other Rubi's threw this hole but I got caught in a deeper rut and it threw me deeper and sideways and over my stock airbox location. If I had just stock box, or CAI system...Bam...hydrolocked would have occurred. but I was fortunate that I swapped to an AEV snorkel.

If you are a person that likes mud/water, you seriously should look at investing in a snorkel great insurance vs.hydrolocking on the trail and having the added expense of towing out of the bush and then the cost of an engine rebuild or new motor.
I had a very similar experience with a puddle, but my rig dipped to the left, and the left side of the hood went under. If that happened on the right side would have been in trouble, so I ended up with a snorkel
Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default yep..

Ill play in the mud on occasion. Becoming more of a rock guy.. after last weekends trip an coming real close to submerging my hood.. im gonna have to put a snorkel on.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

more and more i think i need to get a snorkel...
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

yea im savin up for a river raider snorkel, not sure if itll fit with my light bar tho
Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dillUSMC
yea im savin up for a river raider snorkel, not sure if itll fit with my light bar tho
try Dirtmans snorkel.. he makes the battery tray kits for it.. or wait for the rugged ridge (i think its rugged ridge) for their snorkel to come out. not sure when that is.. but its more like dirtmans design. Doing dirtmans snorkel would save you a few hundred bucks as well.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter