Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

K&N Air Filter

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dypuz
OK...maybe I should have been a bit more specific or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about just replacing the filter with a K&N filter, but installing the K&N 63 Series AirCharger® Performance Intake. And I'm not going to install a snorkel since I don't go off roading anywhere which would require me to have one. Here's a link to the description http://www.quadratec.com/products/17127_100_07.htm

and here's a photo of it:

Now, unless I'm crazy, isn't this a cold air intake?
yes it is
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dypuz
OK...maybe I should have been a bit more specific or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. I wasn't talking about just replacing the filter with a K&N filter, but installing the K&N 63 Series AirCharger® Performance Intake. And I'm not going to install a snorkel since I don't go off roading anywhere which would require me to have one. Here's a link to the description http://www.quadratec.com/products/17127_100_07.htm

and here's a photo of it:

Now, unless I'm crazy, isn't this a cold air intake?
the only problem with cold air intakes like this is..once you close the hood wheres the cold air coming from
Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep. But like I said.. how much of a performance gain do you expect to get from one of those. Jeeps aren't exactly race cars. The can't justify the cost of one of those for what you get out of them. Look up dirtmans snorkel design. I'd be willing to bet it gets better "horsepower gains" than what the items you posted get.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grognard
I did, but for a completely different reason. I put a snorkel in which required several mods to the airbox. It does deliver cooler air (by 10-20 degrees as measured with a Flashpaq) but really did it as we have lots of rivers and streams to cross.

The snorkel manufacturer, RROR, does recommend a K&N filter for the stock airbox.
I have been running my River Raider Snorkel System with a K&N flat filter for almost 4 years now. I have had not one problem!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nickit1981
Yep. But like I said.. how much of a performance gain do you expect to get from one of those. Jeeps aren't exactly race cars. The can't justify the cost of one of those for what you get out of them. Look up dirtmans snorkel design. I'd be willing to bet it gets better "horsepower gains" than what the items you posted get.
This is why I'm looking for anyone running one of these set-ups to see the experience of someone using these intakes.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Had the K&N set up for about 2-3 months. Sounds great when you get on the throttle, but not really sure if it provided much true improvement. I had a defect in the intake tube and took off the whole thing and put stock intake back on while waiting for
New tube. Not sure if I'm going to take the time to put it back on.

Summary: seat of pants improvement and made the engine sound a little more throaty. if that's what you are looking for, go for it.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I come from a F-150 background. A huge forum I was a member of tested all of the popular CAI's for the 97-03 F-150 5.4 engine. On the dyno, most produced about a 2 hp increase. The best produced a 7 hp increase. This was much less than what most CAI manufacturers were claiming at the time (up to 25 hp!). Most of the improvement from a CAI is actually throttle response. Like I said before, every engine is different and some manufacturers do a better job designing their intake system than others. I think the CAI manufacturers actually give you a clue to this in their add's on HP gains for different vehicles. I've noticed that most don't claim much of an increase in HP on the JK's so apparantly Jeep did a pretty good job to begin with. The CAI pictured do appear to do a good job of issolating the filter from the underhood heat and pulling in air from the outside. All of the OEM intakes do this too, they just pull the air in through a small hole usually. In the case of my old Supercrew, the air came through a hole about 2.5 inches in diameter. That doesn't seem like enough to power a 5.4!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran the Air raid CAI for a few months...great growl, some seat of the pants power but when I wheeled or was caught in traffic and it was a scorcher...the motor got extremely boggy and slow response from sucking in the hot engine air.

Since my AEV snorkel (ram air) and AFe drop-in filter I get better seat of the pants power and no more boggy feeling during the summer scorchers when wheeling or caught in traffic by sucking in much cooler outside air as well it gave me protection from hydrolocking when I do creek/mud crossings.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

With either the K&N or airaid how concerned should I be about hydrolocking the engine. I'm thinking the stock air box offers better protection from water??
Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

With the amount of streams and rivers in my area, I was not comfortable with the protection from the stock air box. Also, the cost of a snorkel is comparable to the cost of a CAI, although the install is much more involved for the snorkel. So to me the snorkel made sense.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter