Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Lem
Will be off road though nothing extreme, but also need to ride the highways at 70-75mph...how will the steering be with no cam bolt, no LCA's?
It will be light and flighty. If you like feeling like your steering inputs aren't having much effect, then you'll be fine without LCAs.

But if you like your Jeep to feel dialed in at speed, you need to fix the caster problems introduced by a lift. LCAs aren't that expensive. I'm not sure why anyone who can afford a new Jeep and a lift kit wouldn't just pop for the extra $300 to fix a known problem.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?

I'm using this lift on my 2dr. I frequently drive 75mph and up. No LCAs and no flighty steering.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Lem
he says only problem he has ever seen with cam bolts is if they are not tightened enough.
Supposedly that's exactly the problem. They come loose off-roading and become a problem.

Keep an eye out for cheap arms, sponsor specials, or just buy 'em. You will probably want to go taller eventually anyway so arms will be beneficial in the long run.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

All adj track bars do is re-center your axles. Will only 2 1/2" lift you will most likely be fine without LCA's. Forget the cambolts, and don't worry with LCA's unless you don't like the way it drives after the lift. That's the cool thing, you don't have to do it all at once. Wait and see what you think.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
The cam bolts are fine if you are building a mall crawler. ...
I thought that a secondary reason cam bolts weren't good was because they don't give enough adjustment range to properly set caster for larger tires. That being the case, why even bother with them, since you'll still have flighty steering? Or, am I mistaken in my premise?

To OP: Your mechanic would seem to not have any real off-road experience (he must build mall crawlers). For future work, you might wish to find one who understands the intricacies and demands of off-roading. Otherwise, you risk teaching him at your expense. Unless, of course, your only desire is to build a mall crawler.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 05-22-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 AM
JK Super Freak

I have been running a TF 2.5 Coil lift with shocks with 35's and post lift my ride was very flighty..as said, it doesn't require the Front LCA's but when I added a front adjustable trackbar and the LCA's it made a world of difference on the road for me. My front end just feels much more stable over bumps etc. Just see how you like it first, and spend appropriately haha Good luck
Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the thing to remember is that not everyone has the same results with the same lift. I know several people with the TF 2.5 coil lift who had zero issues after installing it as it came shipped. I also know others who have had some minor to serious issues. I myself was among those who had issues. I developed a serious case of DW immediately after installing the lift, to the point my Jeep was virtually undrivable. I went over everything repeatedly, evrything was installed and torqued properly, and I had others, including a reputable local shop double check our work, and it was all correct. The only option left was to adjust castor. I do not have an extra $300 for adjustable LCA's for another couple weeks, so I had to go the cam bolt route ($80 installed) just so I could drive it (I also have a motorcycle, but a broken hand is making that impossible to ride at the moment). I agree that adjustable LCA's are ideal (if you find that you need them, but you may not), but it all depends on your individual situation. I personally will be switching to LCA's eventually, and will have to eat the cost of the cam bolts and repairing the mounting holes, but at least I can drive my rig now.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

I have about 3" up front, and I got some nasty death wobble after the lift. I put on a TF steering stabilizer (stock one was shot, it would move about an inch with no resistance) and TF front LCA's.

These two changes made it drive better than stock IMHO. And the death wobble was gone.

Your mileage may vary, but I would plan on getting some front LCA's when you can.

But do NOT let them put in cam bolts. They will not hold up offroad when articulating. AND it requires drilling out the mounts on the axle. Which means you will be stock with them forever.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

mine is fluttery or whatever you call it. I also have left drift. I ordered all 8 control arms hoping to fix this issue. I have a 2 door
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Can't speak for the JK, but I wheeled the SNOT out of my old ZJ. It had cam bolts. Never a problem, ever.

My biggest problem was not having spring retainers and shocks that were long and I'd drop a spring every now and then.

My left rear control arm appeared to be stressed and close to tearing. Common problem on 4"+ lifted ZJ's.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?