Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?

Old 05-20-2010, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?

2010 Sahara Unlimited...

Takin the plunge, ordered the TF 2.5 inch coil/shocks kit plus JKS disco's.

Havin a local shop do the install, a guy who has done 100's of jeep lifts. He said I didn't need anything but the TF Kit (did agree with me on the sway bar disco's), asked him about LCA's, front/rear adjustable track bars, he said not necessary.

Asked him how he will set Castor, and he will use cam bolts...

I brought up how I'd read a lot of negative comments about cam bolts on internet forums, he says only problem he has ever seen with cam bolts is if they are not tightened enough.

Question: Do you agree? I don't need adj trackbars, LCA's, he puts on the cam bolts correctly, I will be fine?

Thx in advance, want to do this the right way
Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd drive it without cambolts first and see how you feel. Then if you need
more castor get adj front lowers. That's my opinion.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cannot answer ya question, but the TF 2 1/2" with JKS is what I want to install also - so let me know how it turns out 4 ya when installed plz.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stay away from the cam bolts.... it will save you more work later... meaning, if you decide later to go to a bigger lift or with adj. control arms, you will have to "fix" the oblonged hole they have to make to the brackets... meaning welding a thick washer or similar item onto the brackets to fix the hole...
Plus, cam bolts are notorious for not staying tight...

It's kinda like,,, pay now or pay later kinda thing......
Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

ya you will honestly be fine without cam bolts or lower arms depending on what your looking for ride wise.

I have the same lift and I have driven it for a long time without adjustable lowers so please dont install the cam bolts for the same reason the guy above said you will just have to "fix" it later.

IMO
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

i personally had to buy a front adjustable track bar, mine went death wobble crazy after the lift was install. i went with the teraflex HD track bar, can't go wrong!!!! If teraflex made appliances i would buy them.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
The cam bolts are fine if you are building a mall crawler. You will regret it if you offroad though.

You will probably be fine with leaving the control arms stock and not messing with castor. The steering is a little funky but you get used to it.
Will be off road though nothing extreme, but also need to ride the highways at 70-75mph...how will the steering be with no cam bolt, no LCA's?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have over 4K miles on my lift and I just put on Currie front lower CA's and to tell you the truth, I noticed it to handle better at high speeds. Mainly driving at 75+ MPH. I drive on the highway 50 miles 5 days a week and I have had no problems. so if you do anything, just get front lower CA's.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds good on cam bolts vs. stock LCA's vs. replacement LCA's

I notice a lot of people seem to replace stock trackbar with adj trackball when putting on the TF 2.5". What does that bring to the party? Is it likely needed for the TF 2.5", or is it something that you put on in case you go a higher lift in the future?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Put my Tera 2.5 on last AUG, just the kit without any thing else and was fine. Finally got a good deal on adjustable track bars a few months ago. Better yes, required no.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?