Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just ordered my RC lift, any install tips?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just ordered my RC lift, any install tips?

So I ordered my lift from Rough Country on Thursday (Thanks Ben). I got the 2.5 coils with 2.2 shocks. This will be my first lift install. What advice can you pass along to make shorten my learning curve?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and a buddy installed mine a few weeks ago, well he installed most of it..
Jack stands are a must.. An extra person to help is a plus too.. It helps to have someone stand on the rotor and push it down when installing the springs, makes it easy to slip em right in.. Take your time and be sure to have all the required tools at ready..

I love the lift! My gas mileage isnt so great now, but 35s will do that I guess
Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ATXFIREMAN
Me and a buddy installed mine a few weeks ago, well he installed most of it..
Jack stands are a must.. An extra person to help is a plus too.. It helps to have someone stand on the rotor and push it down when installing the springs, makes it easy to slip em right in.. Take your time and be sure to have all the required tools at ready..

I love the lift! My gas mileage isnt so great now, but 35s will do that I guess
everything he said..... but I installed the exact lift shock combo a couple of weeks back and did it alone. Instead of using another person to push the axle down to get the springs in I used the scissor jack that came with the jeep and just cranked it up between 2 hard places so the axle got pushed down, work a treat and was very easy to install the springs. definately get some stands though, when you pushing and pulling you may tip the jeep off a normal jack. good luck. and make sure you make yourself some rear brake line brackets before you start. I used some small "L" shape fencing brackets and cut them on the bend, then filed the rough bit down, drilled myself a nw hole where I wanted it and bolted it back in, you will need to drop the rear brake line about 3 inches FYI
Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BikinCO
So I ordered my lift from Rough Country on Thursday (Thanks Ben). I got the 2.5 coils with 2.2 shocks. This will be my first lift install. What advice can you pass along to make shorten my learning curve?

Thanks

Send it back and get a TeraFlex or OME!!!! J/K, follow the instructions and if this is your first lift install get a buddy to help (can be done alone easy if you have experience). Take your time and ask questions if you run into trouble instead of makeing a costly mistake.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm halfway thru installing this lift myself today (thunderstorm in the area put a big HALT on finishing the rear portion).

Prep work wise I used some bolt spray on the shocks and discos the day prior to starting, and have had no problem at a all loosening any of them thus far. I also decided to paint the springs flame red (to match the Jeep), just for fun.

A floor jack (two if possible) and creative use of your scissor jack will help you a lot. Jackstands, as said, are a must, as is chocking the wheels securely.

For added peace of mind, I put the tires underneath the frame as far forward as possible but giving me working room, just in case something happened with the jacks.

The front shock uppers have 16mm nuts on the top, with a 5/8" nut underneath (the one you hold onto to loosen the 16mm). When you put the 2.2 shocks on, you have a 9/16" nut on top...took me a bit to figure out something was different up there

All in all, a fairly easy install so far, I'm taking extra time to ensure I'm doing it correctly (lots of coming back to the computer and double checking other's write ups). Hopefully the rear will go as smoothly, can't wait for this rain to stop!!

The front looks awesome, definitely LIFTED!! Will let you know how the rest goes and post pics later on tonite (hopefully!) or tomorrow (if the rain doesn't stop today).
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Browse the write-up that NebRedrocker did. It has pics and everything. You can find it in the Suspension Write-ups area, it'll be the one with the title "Rough Country 2 1/2" lift w/RCX 2.2 shocks install"
Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

NebRedrocker installation, while great pics and can be helpful, was not for the coil lift, it looks like the BB puck lift with the 2.2 shocks.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running the same lift...

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

This write up is GREAT.... the pictures really helped me. I used the writeup and the installation instructions in conjunction and it wasn't bad at all..

The only thing I'd say is.. if you got the basic 4" lift from RC... don't use the cam bolts for castor settings... WAIT and get a set of front upper control arms.

I could only get the caster around 3 to 4 degrees with the cam bolts and they're really flimsy... This low of a caster setting made the steering really flighty on the road. After I talked to northridge, I bought a set of Currie front upper adjustable arms... got the caster up to around 6 degrees... and VOILA! No more crazy steering problems.

OH and make sure you put in some pics before & after!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

while great pics and can be helpful, was not for the coil lift, it looks like the BB puck lift with the 2.2 shocks.
Not a whole lot of difference between pulling the spring out, putting a puck on top and reinstalling - or pulling a spring out and replacing with a new spring. The steps are all the same.

Or look at any of the other lift write-ups that have the same components you are installing, regardless of whether they have the same company name stamped on them. It is the pics and the steps and the commentary of any problems/resolutions that help...

And browse this one also:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-22-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all of the tips. Keep them coming.

Quick Reply: Just ordered my RC lift, any install tips?