Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just ordered a 2.5 inch Stock Mod Rock Krawler setup... Question now

Old 07-27-2015, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Jeeper
Wow... Even if I just stay connected with the sway bar?
The middle of the shaft has a big boot covering the slip joint (where the two halves slide in/out). Tearing this boot on the crossmember skid isn't a big deal. Just rip it off, then pull the shaft apart and grease it on occasion.

It is the joint at the tcase that you need to watch. When that boot wears through, it will spit out grease. Lose enough grease, it dries out and eventually seizes.

But again, there is no way to tell at what height, or under what conditions, 'your' boots will become a problem. Some people are having issues at 2.5", others report being fine at 5" or more. To minimize the chance, check your clearances, stay connected, adjust the pinion up, bypass the flexy obstacles, go to shorter shocks, whatever you can think of...
Old 07-29-2015, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the 2.5 max travel on my 4 door for 3 years with no issues. Traded it in for a 2 door earlier this year, and after one trip with the stock mod (with control arms from my old Jeep) I tore the rear boot. There is no definitive answer. Both jeeps had 2.5" of lift. The 2 door has the new 2.5" springs(used to be 1.5" before they changed the name).
Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K9Jeeper
I've placed an order for the suspension setup mentioned above (the stock mod kit that includes the Bilstiens, trac bar, bump stops, etc. thru Northridge). So now my question is, with my 4 door JK being an auto transmission, am I going to see the issues that some have had with the front driveshaft getting tore up? Or any other issues I should be aware of? Been cruising the message boards and finding out more and more, and it's kind of got me worried now that I'm going to be committed to buying more parts on top of what's already included.
First time I went up rti ramp with mine I cut the boot. I'm running 2.5 with the RK recommend bilsteins. It does flex nice

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150729_165808.png
Views:	77
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	619716

Quick Reply: Just ordered a 2.5 inch Stock Mod Rock Krawler setup... Question now