Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just installed the RIPP MODS ... Supercharger !!!!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chainsawjames
The price of the kit is a joke. You can get a hemi kit for around the same price if not cheaper. Dumb.
Now that you know, and in lieu of the recent posts, you may want to edit what you wrote.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chainsawjames
The price of the kit is a joke. You can get a hemi kit for around the same price if not cheaper. Dumb.
James.... I see you only have 27 posts .....

I will repeat what every one else has said ........ You HAVE to do your research BEFORE posting !!!!

Salvage Yard 5.7 Hemi and Manual trans= $4900 shipped
+
AEV Install Kit = $5200
+
Labor to install = over $5000 ( ask Screamin Lizzard Customs !!!) I DID BTW .... Thank you Scremin Lizzard for being so helpful and answering all my questions !!!!!

COMPARE TO $ 4946 and I install myself in 10 to 12 hours!!!

The MATH is easy !!!!

THANK YOU RIPP MODS FOR MAKING AN AWESOME PRODUCT AND BACKING IT UP WITH OUTSTANDING SERVICE AND TECH SUPPORT .................................AND MOST IMPORTANT SAVING ME $ 10,000 DOLLARS !!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MBRP Tech 1
Thanks to all the great guys at RIPP, we have a SC on its way for our JK. We can't wait to get it installed and look forward to the gains. Our company JK is gradually turning into the performance offroad vehicle we have been looking for. We can't wait to run it through its paces in the Canadian North and then see everyone down at MOAB.

Thanks again RIPP MODS!

Congratulations !!!!

You are gonna be sooooooooo Happy with the New Found POWER !!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
I'm really surprised that nobody has said anything about camshaft profiles for this SC, Rippmods is not saying to much are they. Of course they would have to deal with the ECM, but what profiles would be best for a low end torc and RPM that the jeep was meant for. Some people are rock crawlers , and some for trail, and mall crawlers.

The factory engineers has fed and state guideline's they have to follow, as well longevity to deal with for the least cost.
this engine is D-TUNED from the factory for this reason.

You can get a blower in a bottle if you want instant HP (Nitrous oxide) but because most problems that are associated with nitrous do come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure results in heat, and heat will cause many problems from melting the piston, cylinder head or valves, to pre detonation.

Much of the same apply's to SC, so running over recommended boost you will see the same results. To properly cover all the bases to build a complete engine, Rippmods won't have the money or engineering to accomplish this any time soon.

I am only a Customer and a Mechanic !!!!!! I AM NOT A MEMBER OF RIPP MODS TECH DEPT !!!!!!!

BUT JUST TO TAKE A WILD GUESS ..........MAYBE ......... THIS IS WHY THEY ONLY ADD 8 PSI OF BOOST !!!!!!

I CAN TELL YOU ........ THEY DID ALOT OR R&D !!!!!!

TAKE THE TIME TO CALL THEM AND ASK SOME " TECHNICAL " QUESTIONS AND THIS IS OBVIOUS !!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I am only a Customer and a Mechanic !!!!!! I AM NOT A MEMBER OF RIPP MODS TECH DEPT !!!!!!!

BUT JUST TO TAKE A WILD GUESS ..........MAYBE ......... THIS IS WHY THEY ONLY ADD 8 PSI OF BOOST !!!!!!

I CAN TELL YOU ........ THEY DID ALOT OR R&D !!!!!!

TAKE THE TIME TO CALL THEM AND ASK SOME " TECHNICAL " QUESTIONS AND THIS IS OBVIOUS !!!!!!
HULKGREEN a Mechanic, I feel for ya, your job could be tuff'er with the vehicle of today than
and old Engine Builder !

My response was to chuck45 statement, and to point out there are other alternatives, for the 3.8 from camshaft regrind to nitrous.

Now as for Ripp a little info for them, to help them sell their product, take a look at the 3.8 Intake Manifold, and you will see that it's designed for a natural aspirated vortex pulse, looking at the plenum you'll see that it has diverter ribs so all runners have the same volume or close to it, remember the plenum has negative pressure and the lower Intake runners are design for vortex compression, so a little grinding on the plenum diverter ribs will be needed, as far as I'm concerned this kit is incomplete.

Damn anybody remember paxton blowers the Ford and Studebaker had ? opps just gave my age away

Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

HULKGREEN a Mechanic, I feel for ya, your job could be tuff'er with the vehicle of today than
and old Engine Builder !

My response was to chuck45 statement, and to point out there are other alternatives, for the 3.8 from camshaft regrind to nitrous.

Now as for Ripp a little info for them, to help them sell their product, take a look at the 3.8 Intake Manifold, and you will see that it's designed for a natural aspirated vortex pulse, looking at the plenum you'll see that it has diverter ribs so all runners have the same volume or close to it, remember the plenum has negative pressure and the lower Intake runners are design for vortex compression, so a little grinding on the plenum diverter ribs will be needed, as far as I'm concerned this kit is incomplete.

Damn anybody remember paxton blowers the Ford and Studebaker had ? opps just gave my age away

Ah yes, I remember the Paxton blowers. When I was in HS a waitress at a restaurant I bussed tables in had a 66 Mustang with a paxton.

I don't know whether it was on this forum or another but the subject of JK cams has come up. I've read several comments that the cam specs were actually quite good. As to nitrous, no, no, and no again. To many fried motors for my taste and I want something that will be with me long enough to pull a long western mountain pass. I'm not looking for a shot of power.

I don't know enough about manifolds to comment remotely intelligently about what you wrote. Perhaps you should contact Ripp and discuss it with them. However, one thing I can discuss is price point and the labor time or cost to install. Not to mention the skill level needed. It seems that most guys who do their own maintainance could install a Ripp (or probbaly Hesco too) blower so the labor is either reasonable or your time. If it became necessary to pull the intake manifold, send it off for modifying, or even worse swap out a cam, it would alter the cost in dollars and time such that there would be fewer sales. I'm sure they could tweak this and that to improve things but to what end? To price it out of the market? 5000 is already a stretch and is about all the market will bear. Sales would be much better at a 2900 to 3500 price point but I don't think a profit can be made there unless the market is very mature and all the R&D is done. Much more than 5000 in cost and the Hemi begins to look more attractive.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Hmm would be cool to have an SRT-6 decal on the Jeep somewhere or "supercharged 3.8" or "S3.8L"
Or not
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45
Much more than 5000 in cost and the Hemi begins to look more attractive.

Like the old saying goes, you get more grunt with a elephant

Old 01-28-2009, 07:07 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

I'm really surprised that nobody has said anything about camshaft profiles for this SC, Rippmods is not saying to much are they. Of course they would have to deal with the ECM, but what profiles would be best for a low end torc and RPM that the jeep was meant for. Some people are rock crawlers , and some for trail, and mall crawlers.

The factory engineers has fed and state guideline's they have to follow, as well longevity to deal with for the least cost.
this engine is D-TUNED from the factory for this reason.

You can get a blower in a bottle if you want instant HP (Nitrous oxide) but because most problems that are associated with nitrous do come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure results in heat, and heat will cause many problems from melting the piston, cylinder head or valves, to pre detonation.

Much of the same apply's to SC, so running over recommended boost you will see the same results. To properly cover all the bases to build a complete engine, Rippmods won't have the money or engineering to accomplish this any time soon.

On the contrary we've actually said a lot about a cam and the subject - in another thread - we were invited to take part in a discussion regarding NA power. Since we've Dyno tested more Jeeps that others we collected a lot of data. I've outlined the cam discussion in orange towards the end of the post. We tested many modes - for purposes of easy I will copy and past our response in that thread and a link:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/engine-ups-grades-68024/

Originally Posted by nangulator
I am going to find a cheap salvage yard dodge caravan motor (3.8) to experiment on

Originally Posted by Infidel616
I agree 100 percent. Even if the bottom end was built to take huge amounts of boost, lets not forget about the tranny, fuel pump, injectors, ignition system, etc. All of these systems are capable to handle a small amount of boost but when you start to crank up the PSI (BAR for the rest of the world) you will run into limitations at one point or another for every system. I do however believe that eight pounds of boost will not exceed the limitations of this bottom end and fuel system as long as proper fuel is used and it is driven with a bit of sense. I would be far more worried about the tranny especially for manual trans drivers.
On the contrary… we find the weakness to be the cylinder heads port size in… we have pumped boost into the engine and it simply doesn’t flow through the heads. These heads look like they are from another time…

The fuel system is adequate to handle what we've thrown at it so are the, head studs, gaskets and transmission. Even when we beat them up we never exceeded dangerous trans temps.

Originally Posted by nangulator
Yeah N/A, a mild stroke, some good con rods, much larger valves and some GOOD porting of the heads and intake manifolds. The cam lobe profiles actually are not that bad, unless you want to go high rpm and bigger injectors
But what would the cost be? If your going to take out the engine and build it you could just as easy boost it or swap it for the same or less money. A stroker for small displacement engines cost $$ and then there is the labor.

We really are struggling to not sound bias… really we are - its challenging to join a casual conversion like this. The only reason we even entered this thread is because we were asked to by a few members so we could not ignore it.

RIPP Modifications is not just a Supercharger manufacturer – we are a full blown speed shop and have been for over 14years. We mostly cater to small displacement vehicles and consider the 3.8 as such. As a rule whenever we have a client come in and ask our opinion about building up their small displacement engine – we explain that they would spend more time, energy and money on NA and then wish they had more. The real replacement for displacement is boost… it adds volume of air to the engine it can’t get normally aspirated. In our opinion we should start looking at the heads, a process we started a few weeks back. If we get positive results we will post them for all to see.

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Agreed, I know one of the nations best race engine builders who is top-notch in profiling cams for specific builds which I'm sure could put something together for a 3.8L JK cam profile with a fair amount of torque which is what we need, the PCM remedy would be a piggyback from F.A.S.T. to control the engine air/fuel ratio/timing, etc and a good dynotune would be required. Likely the dynotune could tweak the factory PCM but it would show on inspection that it's been modified which is a fail here in TX...although we all know ways around that...technically speaking it's a fail. If one went with a moderate cam upgrade it would require matching springs, retainers, keepers, hyd-lifters, etc to hold it all together well. No market, therefore does not exist, therefore custom one off cam springs (and parts) would be pretty expensive.
Great points... additionally we've tried a few different types of piggy backs on this ECU to see where we stand. This ECU does not like to be manipulated. The main reason our system works so consistently is because we actually turn the factory ECU into the tuning tool with our electronics. We have control timing to a degree and its limited by pre-programmed factors that are rock solid. You would have to reflash the base tuning to really get more out of it, the con to that would be if you ever went back to the dealer and they did a ECU update you lose your tune all together and any benefits the re-flash may have added. Chrysler knew exactly who ends up using their vehicles... I dont think they counted on us coming up with our logic. Newer Toyota and Honda/Acura cars seem to be the only ones that are proving to be untouchable. This Jeep is close but not close enough

A cam will not be “easy” to do based on the above mentioned factory ECU and TIPM - which is the governing body of the JK’s power. This vehicle uses a combination of Cam and Crank sensors.. you may be able to get a little lift and duration however the con to that would be the ECU's reversal in air mixture to met EPA standards which is programmed in. As for cam advance - from what we've seen the cam and crank have to be in perfect synchronization to avoid going into limp mode.

We find it hard to believe that an NA JK with a 30% drive train loss will produce over 200 rear whp for a reasonable price… we’ve had more JK’s on our DYNO than anyone has had JK’s on DYNO’s… right out of the factory they make 118-148 REAR Wheel HP (WHP) consistently…that’s measured on a DYNO Dynamics LB400 which is an eddy-current loading dyno…its one of the most respected pieces of equipment world wide.

NA X Auto 31" 5:13 gears:

NA X Auto 35's 5:13 gears:

If they are talking HP which is measured at the crank then that’s a different story.. we know there to be a 30% drive train loss in the JK so at best lets say they added what we know works.. 11 from the exhaust and 6 from the air filter and even 3 from the Hypertec unit that’s 160whp add your 30% loss and its 208.

An air filter.. no piping no anything just an air filter popped at the end of the factory tube leading to the throttle body produces 6WHP… out of ALL and I mean ALL the exhaust systems we tested the MBRP was the only one to produce power from 1800rpm to red line adding significant torque…. Every header we tested fell off at low RPM and barely made a difference up top. Most of the other exhausts lost significant power…

We know it takes 6psi to reach 200whp on a stock JK:

Rubi NA 6spd 37; 4:10 gears:
http://www.youtube.com/v/k0HDQJsRFWk&hl

Rubi 8PSI 6spd 37; 4:10 gears:
http://www.youtube.com/v/E7aOkkKoUXs&hl=en&fs=1

Rubi 6spd NA vs Boost Chart 37's 4:10 gears

Rubi 8PSI 6spd 37; 4:10 gears Low Octane Map:
http://www.youtube.com/v/reoBwXlVdug&hl=en&fs=1

Rubi 8spi 6spd 37; 4:10 gears Hi Octane Map:
http://www.youtube.com/v/S6aPiKFvkD0&hl=en&fs=1

NA X Auto 35’ 3:73 GEARS:
http://www.youtube.com/v/B-1KqDw5pgk&hl=en&fs=1

X 8psi Auto Low Octane 35’ 3:73 Gears:
http://www.youtube.com/v/v9JF7DgyIDU&hl=en&fs=1

As tested we lost whp with a snorkel because you’re adding the restriction at the inlet. Contrary to popular belief having a snorkel does not “add” a ram-air effect… it works in the reverse manner - unless you’ve specifically designed the “scoop” to “grab” air…we've found on average to lose 3psi with a snorkel attached based on restriction alone.

We agree… we tried making a feesable (marketable) NA power solution and found it to be null…we tried every combination with tuning and never really saw more than 20whp and torque barely moved.

Question always welcome
RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 01-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

and old Engine Builder !

Thanks for pointing that out, we’ve already been looking into the aspiration side of the 3.8 for some time now. We do an awful amount of testing here, as mentioned we are a seasoned speed shop along with manufacturing… before we let product out we make sure its tested and consistent, and I think that’s shows with our growing client list and all the wonderful things they have to say. When the tech guys are ready to release data on the aspiration side of thing I will be sure to post it in an informative manner.

Quick Reply: Just installed the RIPP MODS ... Supercharger !!!!!!