Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just installed the RIPP MODS ... Supercharger !!!!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
Hmm would be cool to have an SRT-6 decal on the Jeep somewhere or "supercharged 3.8" or "S3.8L"
I thought of that too ....... But then everyone would want to RACE !!! And that is not why I bought the system !!!

I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T S/E with 440 and 4-speed / 4.10 geared Dana 60 that was for racing !!!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by foxcasper
Sure anything is possible - you just will just have to probably live with an inverse exponential relationship with engine (and powertrain) life after the first "reasonable" amount of power is obtained.

Engines are designed and tested to be durable for their target life (e.g. maybe 200k miles) for their stock outputs with a low target cost at the OEM - typically they don't make them stronger than they have to these days as that costs $$.

Of course, in Europe now with all their downsized turbo charged DI engines (and the 2.0 l VW diesel turbo for example), the base engine mechanicals in the range is typically the same as the top - just different boost and minor other differences - which goes aganst my point, but this is not the case with our engine it seems to be only designed as a one trick pony.

What I would be worried about is that typically there will be some weak points encountered in the engine as boost is increased (or other parts in the powertrain will fail as torque inceases) that will fail at a certain point, e.g. bearings, exhaust valves, crankshaft, lack sufficient piston cooling, lack of sufficient block/head cooling, air-flow restrictions in the head etc.

I'd be interested to see the result of running a JK engine boosted on a dyno at full load for x hours, and through various durability type tests the OEMs do to get confidnce - and find and correct the weak points.

Having said that 8psi isn't that much boost... but data beats speculation..

All of these are Valid points......
But if you look back a few posts in this thread ..... You will see where I mention Ripp did their homework and tore the engine apart FIRST to see if it could handle the super charger and they found :::::: Chrysler did their home work and the engine has some very BEEFY internals that would allow Ripp to confidently add BOOST without breakage !!!! And then they intercooled it with a Methanol Injection kit !!!! More Power less HEAT !!!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I thought of that too ....... But then everyone would want to RACE !!! And that is not why I bought the system !!!

I had a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T S/E with 440 and 4-speed / 4.10 geared Dana 60 that was for racing !!!
I had a 67 GTX set up the same way: 4.10 and 4 speed. That little puppy would fly. I've never ever had any other big block that would wind out the way that one would. You'd a thought it was a 302 Chevy. When the tune was spot on it would do a legit 12.50 in the quarter.

I never should have sold it. The freaky thing was that my Dad let me buy it. It belonged to a nieghbor and when another kid came along he needed a 4 dr. It was one year old and I was 17. My Dad was fine with it until one day his car broke down and he had to borrow it to get to work for a meeting. Until then he had NO ideawhat it was or what it would do. Sometimes I wonder why I'm still alive.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I am confused you asked for LONGEVITY , but you want 50 more HP and TQ !!??

The configuration they have NOW is in the neighborhood of the 5.7 Hemi for Flywheel HP with minimal boost for Longevity of the system ...........Best of Both worlds !!!!!

Then you get it for $ 10,000 + less than a comparable 5.7 Hemi swap and get better fuel economy !!!!! .................

You really want your cake and eat it too !!!!

Longevity is not all that important to me. I don't expect it to last 200 or 300k. 100k would be fine. Heck, it's not a DD. I just don't want it to crater when I floor it and pass somebody at 10,000 ft. So yeah I want more HP and torque than they are giving right now. And since I'm being a PITA I'd like it at as low an rpm as possible.

I want to eat my cake and have my lady bake another.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
Longevity is not all that important to me. I don't expect it to last 200 or 300k. 100k would be fine. Heck, it's not a DD. I just don't want it to crater when I floor it and pass somebody at 10,000 ft. So yeah I want more HP and torque than they are giving right now. And since I'm being a PITA I'd like it at as low an rpm as possible.

Well ; I guess there is nothin wrong with that !!!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck45

I'm really surprised that nobody has said anything about camshaft profiles for this SC, Rippmods is not saying to much are they. Of course they would have to deal with the ECM, but what profiles would be best for a low end torc and RPM that the jeep was meant for. Some people are rock crawlers , and some for trail, and mall crawlers.

The factory engineers has fed and state guideline's they have to follow, as well longevity to deal with for the least cost.
this engine is D-TUNED from the factory for this reason.

You can get a blower in a bottle if you want instant HP (Nitrous oxide) but because most problems that are associated with nitrous do come from mechanical failure due to the power increases. Since nitrous allows a much denser charge into the cylinder it dramatically increases cylinder pressures. The increased pressure results in heat, and heat will cause many problems from melting the piston, cylinder head or valves, to pre detonation.

Much of the same apply's to SC, so running over recommended boost you will see the same results. To properly cover all the bases to build a complete engine, Rippmods won't have the money or engineering to accomplish this any time soon.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

Default MBRP Performance Exhaust and RIPP Mods

Thanks to all the great guys at RIPP, we have a SC on its way for our JK. We can't wait to get it installed and look forward to the gains. Our company JK is gradually turning into the performance offroad vehicle we have been looking for. We can't wait to run it through its paces in the Canadian North and then see everyone down at MOAB.

Thanks again RIPP MODS!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price of the kit is a joke. You can get a hemi kit for around the same price if not cheaper. Dumb.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Chainsawjames
The price of the kit is a joke. You can get a hemi kit for around the same price if not cheaper. Dumb.
And that kit that is "around the same price if not cheaper" includes the Hemi and transmission? More realistically if you find a good used Hemi and trans and do all the labor yourself it is double the cost. To have it done for you it's 15K at the low end on up to the 30K range.

Other issues that have to be considered are useage, weight, fuel economy, need for upgraded axles etc.

Think before hitting Submit Reply.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chainsawjames
You are completely misinformed. You are telling me that you can get a Hemi kit, including all of the wiring, the new ECU, etc. (AEV sells just this much for $5000...the cost of the SC system). Then you add a Hemi and the transmission (easily another $8000), then you have to install. I can't imagine many Hemi kits going in for less than $15,000 (3x the cost of the SC).

Furthermore, the blower unit itself is around $2700, then you have all of the meth injection pumps, fuel rails etc, that are not cheap, plus a tremendous amount of engineering and R&D that goes into it. When you look at all of this, RIPP is not running away with tons of profit, and their service and support is top notch.

Quit hi-jacking threads with your negative slander when you are so misinformed.

Quick Reply: Just installed the RIPP MODS ... Supercharger !!!!!!