Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just installed the RIPP MODS ... Supercharger !!!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OlegFl
I doubt it, I mean I remember they mentioned you will get a little MPG increase, I would def. remember them stating 11 mpg increase on highways. Anyways I can tell you that after driving it for 7000 miles, you will not see 11 mpg increase.
the quote he provided above your post is on their site. not sure if it is true though.

How easy are these to install?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chukronos
the quote he provided above your post is on their site. not sure if it is true though.

How easy are these to install?

I have an automotive background ( read Mechanically Inclined ) But ; I can't/don't solder ( just never liked tiny electronics stuff ) . I completed the install in 10 to 12 hours ( with a few beers thrown in for good measure ) and I am only guessing cause I could not sit down and complete it all at once ; had to work in between !

Had a good buddy come to do the soldering and " tiny electrical stuff " took him 1.5 hours . He did this while I finished installing the Methanol Boost InterCooler . I also had him double check EVERYTHING I had previously done since he has been SAE Mechanic over 15 years !!!

Everything checked out and I have had NO check engine lights whatsoever !!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm really looking forward to more long term testimonies of how the supercharger is doing. I'd love to have a little more power, but the money for a hemi is totally out of the budget right now.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

No more questions ????
Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

talked to Ripp today... they said that 6 mpg city and 11 mpg highway is true and will be true if you are stock with a supercharger. Being that we have bigger tires/gears/and other things like bumper weight and so on, it won't be that high. But he said if I had better gears for my 35's I would see a little improvement.

Yes... this is true
Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

talked to Ripp today... they said that 6 mpg city and 11 mpg highway is true and will be true if you are stock with a supercharger. Being that we have bigger tires/gears/and other things like bumper weight and so on, it won't be that high. But he said if I had better gears for my 35's I would see a little improvement.
I have stock 4.10 gearing and only 33's ( half inch taller than stock )

In all honesty........ I would be out of this world excited if I only get 3 mpg city and 6 mpg hiway better than I get now !!!!!!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I have stock 4.10 gearing and only 33's ( half inch taller than stock )

In all honesty........ I would be out of this world excited if I only get 3 mpg city and 6 mpg hiway better than I get now !!!!!!
I have had the supercharger for about 6 months, and maybe 1000-1500 miles. I do not drive my jeep all that much. I am getting about 12 mpg on my dash readout, and I have fully calibrated everything. I drive spirited, but not that heavy on the gas pedal. If I remember correctly, I used to get 15-16 mpg before the SC. I have 35's and 5.13's, and quite a bit of weight.

I certainly did not buy the SC for gas mileage gains, but rather performance. This being said, i am a little disappointed that the mileage has gone down.

Overall, the performance is very nice compared to stock. The automatic transmission is still a piece of S$@*, and engages the torque converter, which kills RPM, which is what the SC needs to spool up to decent boost levels.

Ripp, I would love to know when one of your experts might be in Denver to drive my jeep and let me know if it feels like it should with this kit installed.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
I have had the supercharger for about 6 months, and maybe 1000-1500 miles. I do not drive my jeep all that much. I am getting about 12 mpg on my dash readout, and I have fully calibrated everything. I drive spirited, but not that heavy on the gas pedal. If I remember correctly, I used to get 15-16 mpg before the SC. I have 35's and 5.13's, and quite a bit of weight.

I certainly did not buy the SC for gas mileage gains, but rather performance. This being said, i am a little disappointed that the mileage has gone down.

Overall, the performance is very nice compared to stock. The automatic transmission is still a piece of S$@*, and engages the torque converter, which kills RPM, which is what the SC needs to spool up to decent boost levels.

Ripp, I would love to know when one of your experts might be in Denver to drive my jeep and let me know if it feels like it should with this kit installed.

I am quite dissappointed to hear this !!! But , I do have the stick shift and I have noticed that before the install I had to rev the engine to 2400 to 2500 then shift to next gear ................

whereas now it has enough power that I can shift at 2100 to 2200 and still am getting up to speed quicker than pre SC !!!!

FJ 80........

What are your automatic trans shift points ?????? They recommend in town driving to turn off the overdrive !!

The computer system in our JK is adaptive to YOU and learns how you want to drive !!!! Yea I know that sounds HI TECH !!!!

If your fuel economy has dropped .... I would try disconnecting the battery ovrnite ( at least 8 hours ) and then in the morning reconnect and try re-teaching it with a LIGHTER FOOT !!!!! After 500 to 800 miles it will have adapted to your new driving style and probably get better than 17 mpg !!!

Let me know how it goes !!!! In Private Message if you want !!!! I know it sounds weird but , what is there to loose and only fuel economy to gain !!!
Old 01-22-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HULKGREEN
I am quite dissappointed to hear this !!! But , I do have the stick shift and I have noticed that before the install I had to rev the engine to 2400 to 2500 then shift to next gear ................

whereas now it has enough power that I can shift at 2100 to 2200 and still am getting up to speed quicker than pre SC !!!!

FJ 80........

What are your automatic trans shift points ?????? They recommend in town driving to turn off the overdrive !!

The computer system in our JK is adaptive to YOU and learns how you want to drive !!!! Yea I know that sounds HI TECH !!!!

If your fuel economy has dropped .... I would try disconnecting the battery ovrnite ( at least 8 hours ) and then in the morning reconnect and try re-teaching it with a LIGHTER FOOT !!!!! After 500 to 800 miles it will have adapted to your new driving style and probably get better than 17 mpg !!!

Let me know how it goes !!!! In Private Message if you want !!!! I know it sounds weird but , what is there to loose and only fuel economy to gain !!!
I am not sure of the shift points, as I used my hypertech programmer to establish my gears and actual tire size. I sometimes turn off the overdrive when doing city driving, which helps keep the rpm's up, but if I am in-and-out of the car a lot, I forget to reach down everytime and push the overdrive button. I wish that button was on the shifter or up by the steering wheel, or someone could make a toggle switch that would stay in position after the car was turned off.

As for the gas mileage, I will do as you suggested. I find that I have to have somewhat of a heavy foot to get the SC to engage at the higher RPM's. The bottom line is that the Jeep auto transmission is terrible (even my jeep service guy admitted this). The manual seems to work so much better for daily driving, and of course to control the rpm's for hill climbing with and without the SC. I bought the auto for difficult terrain/rock crawling....it has much more control.

A new transmission that wasn't as susceptible to torque converter lock, or a SC that produced more boost at lower rpm's would probably make the difference.

Just to clarify...I am still much much happier with the SC than before. RIPP is a great company to work with and is very responsive to any problems. I would recommend them and their system highly. I just think the automatic platform that Chrysler delivered is mismatched to this powertrain.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FJ80fornow
I am not sure of the shift points, as I used my hypertech programmer to establish my gears and actual tire size. I sometimes turn off the overdrive when doing city driving, which helps keep the rpm's up, but if I am in-and-out of the car a lot, I forget to reach down everytime and push the overdrive button. I wish that button was on the shifter or up by the steering wheel, or someone could make a toggle switch that would stay in position after the car was turned off.

As for the gas mileage, I will do as you suggested. I find that I have to have somewhat of a heavy foot to get the SC to engage at the higher RPM's. The bottom line is that the Jeep auto transmission is terrible (even my jeep service guy admitted this). The manual seems to work so much better for daily driving, and of course to control the rpm's for hill climbing with and without the SC. I bought the auto for difficult terrain/rock crawling....it has much more control.

A new transmission that wasn't as susceptible to torque converter lock, or a SC that produced more boost at lower rpm's would probably make the difference.

Just to clarify...I am still much much happier with the SC than before. RIPP is a great company to work with and is very responsive to any problems. I would recommend them and their system highly. I just think the automatic platform that Chrysler delivered is mismatched to this powertrain.

I definately have to Second the last statement Ripp is an Awesome company to work with and I also would HIGHLY recommend their product and service !!!! I their field I would rate them as " SECOND TO NONE !!!"

Quick Reply: Just installed the RIPP MODS ... Supercharger !!!!!!