Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just installed new steering components...initial thoughts

Old 02-27-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed new steering components...initial thoughts

Recently I had decided to investigate as to why my ride was so rough on my '07 JKU. After some research on the forum and some photo exchanges it was determined all 4 shocks were blown (1.5 year old TF) and my steering components were shot. This included Trackbar, Tie Rod, Drag Link and Ball Joints. Trackbar was flexing and all other components had shot bushings, etc. After many hours of research on here I decided to upgrade all of these pieces and also add in extended brake lines and 1" spacers.

My list of work to do was:
Currie Currectlync Steering System
TF HD Front Adj Trackbar
Dynatrac Ball Joints
Crown extended brake lines
TF 1" spacers (all four)
Replace inner axle seals
replace differential fluid.
Bolt Replacement Kit

I got through the steering, trackbar, ball joints, 1" spacers and the front diff. I will be doing the brake lines and rear diff soon. but bailed on the seals. I could not get the gears out and was on my own so felt it was better to live to see another day (if you know what I mean). I had replaced the shocks the weekend before as well.

Lessons Learned:
Although this can be done by one person, it helps to have more. It took me two days where I worked about 12 hrs per day. The third day was spent at Big O for alignment. I ran in to a problem with the drag link at pitman arm that cost me about 4 hrs.. that sucked. I also, spent a good deal of time on the axle seals just to finally say no. I still have a couple of hours to get brake lines and rear diff changed and probably will be paying someone to replace the seals sometime soon. I had 3 days and needed all of the time and then some. I ended up taking it to Big O for a final adjustment (it was free as I have their alignment plan) so that saved me a ton of time and effort. Oh and my bolt replacement kit got here 3 days later, so I'll need to go back and do that too.

Why i did it:
This really helped me understand the steering of my JK. I feel more comfortable about wheeling it, although I'm concerned with my 3.5" lift and my stock drive shaft. I saw first hand the issue while I jacked it up and I'm not sure I can wheel it right now safely. I unfortunately cannot afford a new DS either as I spent over $2500 on upgrades. While I was under there I also found that my swaybar had shifted to one side and my bolt from the swaybar links was hitting my shock perch.. couple of hits from my friendly BFH and it was fixed.

Conclusion:
This was a ton of work and honestly I would not do it again without more time or more help. I am however extremely happy with the results so far. Ride is softer and firm over bumps (on road). I'm a little nervous of taking it on the trail with the added height and driveshaft, but may risk it.. not sure yet.

If anyone has any specific questions on all this, hit me up and I'll tell you more. This honestly could be a 3 page post if I wrote everything down. I can give more info about what was damaged, reason for changing to each upgrade and what happened during the install. Keep in mind I had help installing my lift, no help with my tire carrier and most of the time will pay someone to do my work, so this was all new to me..

Thanks to everyone on the forum for answering my question and helping me out when I got in to a bind with the pitman arm.. You guys Rock!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Learning how to do suspension work is the best thing you can learn to do. Now you know that you how to do it , the next time it will be easier.

Quick Reply: Just installed new steering components...initial thoughts