Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

just installed 3.5" lift cant center steerig wheel

Old 06-09-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed 3.5" lift cant center steerig wheel/free rubi rails

I just installed a RC 3.5" lift. Rides great. Every time I center the steering wheel after a few miles it is off center again. I went to adjust it again and I noticed that I could grab the drag link and tie rod and twist em up and down. I cant just grab it and move it up and down I have to grab it and twist it up and down. Does this make sense ? are they to move that easy?

I have a set of new rubi rails for a JKU that I will give to any one that can come over and help me fix the problem. Hampton Roads Va. area thanks

Last edited by scratchkenny; 06-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scratchkenny
I just installed a RC 3.5" lift. Rides great. Every time I center the steering wheel after a few miles it is off center again. I went to adjust it again and I noticed that I could grab the drag link and tie rod and twist em up and down. I cant just grab it and move it up and down I have to grab it and twist it up and down. Does this make sense ? are they to move that easy?
How old is you drag link? They can move like that it is the joint in them. Up and down is what you dont want. Grab some channel locks and see if can move the joint up and down.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

You need to loosen the sleeve on the draglink and use either a pipe wrench (pain in the ass) or a draglink adjustment tool(claw) made to fit on a socket wrench that will grab the draglink sleeve a bit easier. Have someone in the driver seat to let you know when it's straight. When they give the okay, double check the steering wheel and see if you are happy with it. Then go and tighten the f*c out of the 2 bolts on the sleeve. Test drive and repeat as necessary.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotational movement is ok. Any other type of movement of the drag link is bad. Use a pair of big channel locks and see if you can squeeze the drag link and knuckle between the jaws. Any compression of the joint means it's time for a new one. Same goes for the tie rod ends.

Check the track bar bolts. Again, even if you have already. Make sure they are VERY TIGHT. If the track bar is even close to being loose it can cause problems with things shifting side to side. Then the least of your worries will be the steering wheel being slightly off center ( which a loose track bar can definitely cause as well as a drag link).

Good luck with your lift. And search Synergy for when the lift starts to cause problems. It's the way I went. I actually to this day STILL have RC springs....but that's all I have left from the lift.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK7007
How old is you drag link? They can move like that it is the joint in them. Up and down is what you dont want. Grab some channel locks and see if can move the joint up and down.
Sorry its a 2013 JKUR .Guess I should of said it when I grab the link I can roll it up and down not move it.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zaqs_dad
You need to loosen the sleeve on the draglink and use either a pipe wrench (pain in the ass) or a draglink adjustment tool(claw) made to fit on a socket wrench that will grab the draglink sleeve a bit easier. Have someone in the driver seat to let you know when it's straight. When they give the okay, double check the steering wheel and see if you are happy with it. Then go and tighten the f*c out of the 2 bolts on the sleeve. Test drive and repeat as necessary.
That's what I have been doing, when I go to adjust it again its as tight as it was when I adjusted it the time before.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

You either have something seriously loose or you are doing the adjustment incorrectly.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like loose track bar bolts. Did you use a torque wrench or just tighten the hardware?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Drop pitman? Are you sure it is on correctly and is tight?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

O.K. adjusted steering wheel again. Cranked down on the 2 bolts super tight. Went for a drive 1/2 mile down the road steering wheel in off to the right coming back home made a left turn steering wheel is straight now. Any Ideas?

Quick Reply: just installed 3.5" lift cant center steerig wheel