Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just got my Optima Yellow Top: Advantages of Dual?

Old 08-02-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Right now I have 4 stock fogs, the stock headlights, and two 6" kc slimlights running off of it, I plan to add a winch, one more set of lights in the front, and possibly 6 rock light like WOL, do you think it would be wise to go with the dual setup that just came out to run all of this or will the one be enough?
Dual batteries are not to power your lights radios ect when the engine is running. If your power needs draw more power than your alternator puts out, you need a new alternator.

That said. Say you're out and are listening to the stereo all day. With duel batteries, you're not going to get stranded because you drained your battery. Dual batteries will also give you a larger amp reserve for a winch. A winch will kill a battery fast and it draws way more amps than an alternator will put out. This alone is enough reason to dump the stock battery. But even an optima can run out of juice given enough use and too short a recovery. That's why I have a battery dedicated to just starting the Jeep. It would take a lot of work to drain two Optimas with the engine still running, but when you have a winch you'd be surprised at how often it can get used in a day.

There are no down sides to running two batteries other than weight and cost. The benefits the first time you use it IMO justify both.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy

There are no down sides to running two batteries other than weight and cost. The benefits the first time you use it IMO justify both.
I agree, this is what im starting to notice. So benchmark seems to be in order
Old 08-02-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
I agree, this is what im starting to notice. So benchmark seems to be in order
If I didn't already have three batteries, and it fit in my Jeep, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by eDiveBuddy
If I didn't already have three batteries, and it fit in my Jeep, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
Do you know how much the wiring kit and tray cost from them?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of reconfiguring the kits to have more options, making them more affordable than they've ever been. I should have pricing Monday or Tuesday.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's Monday! How much?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R8R ROK
What other options are you offering that is different from the ones you sold before??
Using a basic solenoid instead of the Smart Isolator. Drops the cost a ton. The way I'm wiring it up, it still functions similarly and satisfies the needs of 75% of the people. The Smart Isolator kit will still be available for those who like bells and whistles.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Benchmark Designs Inc.
Using a basic solenoid instead of the Smart Isolator. Drops the cost a ton. The way I'm wiring it up, it still functions similarly and satisfies the needs of 75% of the people. The Smart Isolator kit will still be available for those who like bells and whistles.
What is the benefit of a solenoid vs smart isolator? I will run only 2 auxillary lights, warn 9.5ti, and eventually a ready welder, what should I get?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryanc
What is the benefit of a solenoid vs smart isolator? I will run only 2 auxillary lights, warn 9.5ti, and eventually a ready welder, what should I get?
X2, Answer this and you've got yourself a sale. I plan to run numerous lights and a 9.5winch, which would be best for me?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

I will answer this really quick since John seems to have run off to do other things.

Smart Isolater: When the engine is running and the alternator is producing power the voltage level of the Jeep is around 14.4VDC. When the engine shuts off and the alternator is not producing power the voltage drops to 12.8VDC. Pick a voltage between those two values. 13.2VDC. When voltage goes above that the Smart Isolator connects the batteries together and both batteries charge. When the voltage drops below 13.2 the Smart Isolator seperates the batteries so the Extra battery is drained and the Engine battery is not drained. The Smart Isolator keeps the batteries seperate until the Engine battery is up to its full charge state.

Solenoid: When the key is off, it opens. Batteries are seperate. When the key is on it connects the batteries and both batteries charge together. Think of it as a dumb switch. It doesn't wait until the Engine battery is at full charge. It just connects them when the key is turned on.

Quick Reply: Just got my Optima Yellow Top: Advantages of Dual?