Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just getting first winch...best way to help out stuck cars/suvs in winter weather?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee
It is my understanding that there are special hookup harnesses that tow truck drivers use which fit most cars underbody hook points. They are hooks with straps as to not damage the airdams and other plastic junk.
Actually they are for tying down the cars during transport, not for towing. But, they do offer a way to attach to a car, though they can be weak and cause damage at the angles that we use to pull someone out (the attachment points are designed to go down at an angle to the trailer bed on which they are being hauled, not forward to a recovery vehicle).

http://www.truckntow.com/c-146914-car-hauler-chains.aspx
Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Actually they are for tying down the cars during transport, not for towing. But, they do offer a way to attach to a car, though they can be weak and cause damage at the angles that we use to pull someone out (the attachment points are designed to go down at an angle to the trailer bed on which they are being hauled, not forward to a recovery vehicle).

Car Hauler Chains | Truck n Tow.com
Yeah I had a Saab and a miata with small tie down looking things and the manual warned you that they weren't for towing etc...

Matthew
Old 09-24-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

Car Hauler Chains | Truck n Tow.com
Ahh thanks. I saw some pictures in a long ago thread here on this same "pulling people out" topic. Someone had pics of a harness with hooks they used.

I am just glad I am not a tow truck driver. Besides freezing my butt off, I would break some of these little cars in half getting them out.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Yankee
Ahh thanks. I saw some pictures in a long ago thread here on this same "pulling people out" topic. Someone had pics of a harness with hooks they used.

I am just glad I am not a tow truck driver. Besides freezing my butt off, I would break some of these little cars in half getting them out.
I guess I have an awfully deep good samaratin streak in me,plus my wife Is a physician so ethically she will stop to help if the is a fresh accident with nobody responding yet, she hasn't done trauma since she was a resident so once the met/paramedics arrive their better off to take care of the person, unless they need their gallbladder or appendix taken out in a dire emergency

Matthew
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I guess I have an awfully deep good samaratin streak in me,plus my wife Is a physician so ethically she will stop to help if the is a fresh accident with nobody responding yet, she hasn't done trauma since she was a resident so once the met/paramedics arrive their better off to take care of the person, unless they need their gallbladder or appendix taken out in a dire emergency

Matthew
I would always stop and render assitance in an emergency. And if I saw someone in the ditch in a car I would stop. They could use my cell, get a ride even. I just would probably not pull them out myself anymore.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Here in North Central BC there are stretches without cell service and passing vehicles could be rare. If there's a vehicle off the road and you can get it back safely, you help out and do it, minding all the other considerations already mentioned.

Quick Reply: Just getting first winch...best way to help out stuck cars/suvs in winter weather?