Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just getting first winch...best way to help out stuck cars/suvs in winter weather?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, pretty much what I thought I would hear!

Probably not worth the hassle, it's just whee we live now, southern Maine near the coast people are usually the sort to actually stop and see if they can help someone out, but less its a jeeper and I feel confident on my attachment points its not worth it
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in University there was one really bad road on my way in each morning. I'd always come across struck cars and I used to help. Think I had helped 4-5 people and then it happened..

A lady went off the road and her front bumper was visibly damaged. I stopped and asked if I could help or call her a tow truck. She asked if I could help and said she couldn't afford the tow truck. I told her I'm not responsible for the damage and that I can tell her front bumper is damaged and when I pulled it back we might find more damage. She agreed.

I easily pulled her out she was barely stuck just high centered and into the snowbank. Once the car was back on level ground she started to go insane. Was yelling about her front bumper being damaged and that I had no idea what I was doing, etc.. Then she called the police..

Luckily I knew the officer but still I got screwed. I had to pay for the damage to her car, I got a warning for operating a tow without the proper insurance and got a warning for holding up traffic. A month later my insurance called asking for the story again and asked if she was in the car when I towed her out... She was because she had to steer it out.. she was now claiming back issues... Luckily I never heard anything more about it.

I have towed a couple of pickup trucks since then but I'll never help another car. I still stop and ask if they need assistance but only offer to shovel and push or call a tow truck.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepingNet
When I was in University there was one really bad road on my way in each morning. I'd always come across struck cars and I used to help. Think I had helped 4-5 people and then it happened..

A lady went off the road and her front bumper was visibly damaged. I stopped and asked if I could help or call her a tow truck. She asked if I could help and said she couldn't afford the tow truck. I told her I'm not responsible for the damage and that I can tell her front bumper is damaged and when I pulled it back we might find more damage. She agreed.

I easily pulled her out she was barely stuck just high centered and into the snowbank. Once the car was back on level ground she started to go insane. Was yelling about her front bumper being damaged and that I had no idea what I was doing, etc.. Then she called the police..

Luckily I knew the officer but still I got screwed. I had to pay for the damage to her car, I got a warning for operating a tow without the proper insurance and got a warning for holding up traffic. A month later my insurance called asking for the story again and asked if she was in the car when I towed her out... She was because she had to steer it out.. she was now claiming back issues... Luckily I never heard anything more about it.

I have towed a couple of pickup trucks since then but I'll never help another car. I still stop and ask if they need assistance but only offer to shovel and push or call a tow truck.
Sad story. I help people. Maybe I will get their agreement with my warning on my phone from now on. Along with before video. I also take issue with someone (including local ordinances) calling this towing. Pulling someone out so they can drive away isn't "towing".
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default liability

Too much liability. let them buy their own Jeep.

it's a shame the world's come to this, but you gotta look out for #1.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is so sad to think that being "jeep" people who want to be prepared for what ever is thrown at us, we have to be concerned for our own liability when trying to be good Samaritans. It's a depressing thought that our society and country have gone so far that we're now backwards. Well, if I'm ever stuck or in danger, I promise to not sue anyone for trying to help me!
Old 09-23-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you ever feel that compelled to help someone I guess capturing it all on phone would be the best option. Too bad that nowadays everyone just sues each other...
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In Illinois I had a legal document/damage disclaimer that I made people sign before I attempted any sort of recovery. Be it pulling them out or even shoveling the snow in front. Here in Alaska I don't even bother unless I know the person, way too many turd burglars.

As far as winching, I do more straight pulls than winching. People typically fly into berms on the highway and there's plenty of room to recover. I've used my winch once pulling a car out of a parking spot because there wasn't any room to pull.

I have used my winch a lot on the trails pulling people out of mud holes. I strap myself to a tree (or two, our trees tend to be spindly) and winch them out. I've also used it as an assist to get me out of a rut.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Despite all the negative sounding replies in this thread, when storms hit this winter there will be a hundred "save" stories for each poster who says here to drive on by. Just be safe. And careful. A winch is powerful enough to pull off a car front or rear cap (bumper and associated fascia and lights). I won't winch a car. But I carry a shovel and will help them dig. I will push by hand. If there is a good spot to tug, I will do that. If they have a 2" receiver and pulling backwards is helpful, I do that (use a hitch pin through the tow strap eye). NEVER use a chain or a "tow" strap with metal hooks to pull. NEVER! It can kill when it fails.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was always told jeep winches were for self-recovery. I don't have one myself.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haven't any of you ever heard of the "Good Samaritan law"? if they ask for help and you are NOT a professional recovery service and don't take any compensation, you cannot be held liable for any damages. after all they did ask for your help. I wouldn't use my winch, but straps sure... I would help anyone in an instant rather than leave some family stranded on the side of the road in a hellish snow storm, but that's just me

Last edited by jk.bushwacker; 09-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Just getting first winch...best way to help out stuck cars/suvs in winter weather?