Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just getting first winch...best way to help out stuck cars/suvs in winter weather?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just getting first winch...best way to help out stuck cars/suvs in winter weather?

Hello

Last year there were a half dozen or so times there were either cars or weak SUVs lie rav4's stuck in relatively mild snow storms...

I felt bad but didn't know how to help the folks out as my bumpers high enough to just crush their tail lights...

Is there a safe way to help out or is it better to just let them call a tow truck?

I mean if it were a Jeep with factory tow hooks on front or the loop under back bumper it's a no brainer

Matthew
Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Hello

Last year there were a half dozen or so times there were either cars or weak SUVs lie rav4's stuck in relatively mild snow storms...

I felt bad but didn't know how to help the folks out as my bumpers high enough to just crush their tail lights...

Is there a safe way to help out or is it better to just let them call a tow truck?

I mean if it were a Jeep with factory tow hooks on front or the loop under back bumper it's a no brainer

Matthew
Anytime you 'help' someone out, you incur liability if anything happens, for example, if you rip their bumper off or cause any damage to their car, you would be liable in court if it went that far. From knowing how people are from my job (law enforcement) I would be a little apprehensive when offering help. I know it's the right thing to do and it's fun sometimes but when it goes bad, expect to get the shaft. I might help a friend but a stranger, it's risky.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes you just have to be careful about other people talk to them and see how they feel you could either damage their car or yours if its not hooked up right and remember to tell them you're not responsible for any damage good luck. I was at Hollister and some guy was stuck in a Toyota truck in the mud pit so I thought I'd be nice and pull him out and I ended up messing up my cable so now I have to buy a new cable. Oh well
Old 09-22-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best way to help them out is call a tow truck. You damage something of a total strangers vehicle you can easily get sued.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_vcM7bynA
Old 09-22-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do help someone make sure they hook up to their own car.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DKehler
If you do help someone make sure they hook up to their own car.
x2. I make them hook it up, and tell them up front that I won't be responsible for any damage. Don't know about the legalities, but at least I have a verbal.

Most of the time it is really easy, minor pulls just to back them a few feet out of deeper snow or off the ice, so no big deal.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
This is funny! But to the op.... Unless it's a fellow jeeper (who by all means SHOULDNT be stuck) I'd just pass Em by.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Hello

Matthew
Best way to help them? call them a tow truck. Like stated, you are neither a contact provider (tow truck) or emergency services (police/fire/EMS). You are not properly equipped for roadside emergencies and not properly insured to provide such services. In addition, amateur hour on snowy roads is a hazard to other motorists.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all fun and games until you get sued..... It's the sad reality. Heck, even having a release form or verbal can still land you in court costing you time and money even if you end up winning.

25-30 years ago my dad had a legit towing setup for his winter business. He gave it up after people constantly treated him like crap, filed frivolous claims, and generally made it so he wasn't making any money and was wasting a lot of time. Stuff like having their car stuck 50 feet off the road in some brush and coming after him claiming he was careless and scratched or damaged their car while pulling it out when in reality they damaged it going in.

In general, people suck

Quick Reply: Just getting first winch...best way to help out stuck cars/suvs in winter weather?