Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just Empty Every Pocket Confirmed

Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by In2rsq1
Installed lift today. Taller than I thought it would be. Even without the tires and rims since I am still awaiting the rims from California since they are finally off back order. Will have the complete install done on the 19th. Rides really well, looks wired with factory tires and rims though. Had to leave the rear disconnect bars off since they rubbed the tires pretty bad until the tires and rims go on. Have a huge clunking from the rear and can't find what it is on bumps.... Anyone have suggestions. I will recheck all torques again tomorrow just in case I missed them the third time over. Also had to put limiting straps on the rear since at full flex the springs could be pulled by hand.... Had the straps put on just about at full flex. Shouldn't have any springs popping out with the straps..... If anyone has suggestions on what the clunking might be please let me know. I'll post pictures tomorrow when there is daylight.
Check to see if the bolt on the passenger side of the rear trackbar (it's the frame side rear trackbar mount) comes in contact with the bump stop landing block on top of the axle (again, passenger side) when your axle travels upward. Just looking at the landing block, you should see a dent or some other evidence of metal to metal contact if this is the culprit.

Edit: to be clear, it will be the thread side/end of the bolt, not the bolt head, that hits the landing block on the axle.

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-09-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Went out with mirror and tactical light. No signs of metal to metal marks of any kind. This is happening on the road. Potholes and bumps in the road cause the clunking sound. Thanks though keep the ideas coming. I dare not go far since I think the ass end is falling off....
Old 05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
JK Jedi

Went out with mirror and tactical light. No signs of metal to metal marks of any kind. This is happening on the road. Potholes and bumps in the road cause the clunking sound. Thanks though keep the ideas coming. I dare not go far since I think the ass end is falling off....
Hmmm, I thought for sure this would be it. I just saw this on a buddy's Jeep. Might be worth checking by parking on something with the passenger rear stuffed. Although I'm not sure a pothole would cycle the suspension high enough to make the contact I'm talking about happen.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really appreciate the thought. When I went out I definitely saw what could happen stuffed. I couldn't wait for first light...
Old 05-10-2012, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found the culprit of the clunking.... Rear bumper was hitting the underbody. 4wheel parts mounted and put it to high. The sound was like the ass end of the jeep was coming off. I thought I really messed up the suspension somewhere.......
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM
JK Jedi

Glad to hear you found it.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Installed lift today. Taller than I thought it would be. Even without the tires and rims since I am still awaiting the rims from California since they are finally off back order. Will have the complete install done on the 19th. Rides really well, looks wired with factory tires and rims though. Had to leave the rear disconnect bars off since they rubbed the tires pretty bad until the tires and rims go on. Have a huge clunking from the rear and can't find what it is on bumps.... Anyone have suggestions. I will recheck all torques again tomorrow just in case I missed them the third time over. Also had to put limiting straps on the rear since at full flex the springs could be pulled by hand.... Had the straps put on just about at full flex. Shouldn't have any springs popping out with the straps..... If anyone has suggestions on what the clunking might be please let me know. I'll post pictures tomorrow when there is daylight.
Clunking.... Check the bolt on your track bar, could be hitting the bump stop on ur axle... Mine was, had to shave the corner off of the stop... Is the clunk in the right rear?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:03 PM
JK Freak

Or scratch that, looks like you found it.... No worries, there will be more strange clicks, clunks, and thuds to deal with, lol... It's 1 thing after another for me.. All minor and quick to adjust but expect it...
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well finally complete. Took some photos quick before the sun completely went down. Rides like a whole different jeep. Had to put some dirt on it as you can probably tell. worth every penny so far!!! Last picture was before....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4183477883.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	319552   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2022210631.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	319553   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2765887519.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	319554   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-324419639.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	319555   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2980767442.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	319556  

Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by b5rider
Drive shafts. I just had to pay for a rear and the front is next. Gears and driveshafts are not as obvious as bumpers and a lift, but they should be part of the budget
What drive shafts did you get? Just ripped the front boot at north shore and will order. Any suggestions would be great. I'll replace the rear as well just not yet. The jeep is an animal with the upgrades..... We went all careful to test the tight spaces and for close contacts. All the reads on this forum where definitely confirmed especially the rear pinch seems

Quick Reply: Just Empty Every Pocket Confirmed