Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just curious

Old 02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As already mentioned...I wanted to upgrade tires first, the stock X tires are just not good enough, so if I'm upgrading tires first may as well get the size I want which is going to require the lift...now I don't worry as much about getting stuck or popping a tire off road
Old 02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I upgraded Lift --> Wheels --> Tires --> Bumpers.
Still have yet to do skid plates, but I know this and consciously limit myself to trails that wont destroy my undercarriage.

I can go 75% of the places I want to now anyways.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

My order of preference:

Skid plates (including rock rails)
Bumper with Winch
Lift
Tires
Lockers
Rear Bumper
Gears

I made several converts who went with the whole lift and tires first change to bumper and winch at the top.

When you're stuck, you're stuck. Only a winch will do sometimes.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Newbie

I was just tired of people calling it a "Barbie Jeep"
Old 02-09-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

New to forum, but was interested in the same thing. Not sure what to do first? Winch or suspension? I am thinking of going with 10k winch, but not sure if factory suspension (probably 3") will hold up well enough. I am going to put in inside the stock bumper like was mentioned on a previous write-up.

Opinions?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well my first mod I always do is a winch. A real jeep to me always has a winch anything else is a street machine. Then real tires, mine came with street tires so I got some good off road tires. Then rock sliders, and then a lift. But as most of us know mods never seem to end and there is so much one can do as long as your budget can swing it. The number one rule is if it breaks make it stronger and better. After a fews years of working on it you'll have on awesome machine that four wheels great. Unfortunately most of us will make the mistake of selling it after it's there.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

I wasn't sure which would be more important. Clearance or getting out.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lift and tires first...there is no need for a bumper and winch if you cant get to a place where you would need it...unless you are running those stock pizza cutters in which case you may need to have a winch to get out of the mud puddles on the street after it rains cause those thing have no traction
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wings fan
I'm a non Rubi guy.

I started with bumper / winch then sliders. But really other than sliders the JK is pretty good for skid protection compaired to other Jeeps. Also with the make shift e-lockers its a hole different world than the TJ's. If a JK lifts a tire it's not stuck it may be a little jerky but you will get through. I also have the limited slip rear and the combo is really quite good short of a locker. That being said after the slider protection I would go straight for lift and tires.

With my and 35's I have done alot of trails that stock Rubi guys wouldn't attempt.

So to sum it up I agree with getting sliders first to protect that weak point on a non Rubi JK after that I would go for lift and tires everytime.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean when you say "make shift e-lockers". You mean factory lockers right? Also, when you are talking about a JK lifting a tire, are you refering to a "locked" JK?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by swright1
I wasn't sure which would be more important. Clearance or getting out.
I would say that recovery equipment is a priority over clearance.

Also, some extra clearance and good tires will not guarantee that you will get to a place that you may need a winch. Thats really why I started this topic because I feel that a stock height JK with 33 inch tires, lockers, and armor, will go deeper into a trail than a "unlocked" Jeep on 35's+.

Quick Reply: Just curious