Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just changed my manual tranny fluid a few questions??

Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just changed my manual tranny fluid a few questions??

So I just changed my transmission fluid in my 6 speed 2013 Rubicon. I switched to Amsoil Syncromesh to try and smooth out 2nd gear, and I was starting to hear transmission noise when the clutch is out in neutral at temperate. When the old fluid came out it smelt very burnt, and the drain plug had a lot of metal hairs on it. Granted I have 3500 miles on my jeep is this normal? The noise still seems to be there sounds like the throw out bearing is bad? Anyone have similar symptoms, I just hate having to go to the dealer to always hear the same "we can't hear anything" response that I always seem to hear if theres an issue.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my 2012 makes roll over noise in neautral

sounds like something is hitting the bell housing of tranny a gear of some type. The dealers always say the same thing , some do it some don't . I have 20,000 and no issues just annoying when at a bank teller or at a light I can hear it rolling, no biggie id rather have a noisey one than one that's popping out of gear and stuff
and you could get a different tranny and more problems id drive it till it wont drive .

not alone thers other threads same issues no real fix .

Last edited by jeepmojo; 02-23-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize mine was doing that today while I was somewhere on neutral and it made that gear noise...when I press the clutch and put it in gear it stops ...but as soon as I out in neutral and release the clutch it does that noise ...like rolling gears.

If I play with the throttle a bit I can make that sound more pronounced.

Didn't notice anything besides it does a different click when it goes in 2nd gear and when in 3rd gear while going at 2000-3000 rpm I hear rolling gears when torquing a little.

Not sure if it's normal or not ...I have 16000 Kms
Old 02-23-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, anyone with a manual trans should change their fluid almost immediately. I drained mine at 10k miles (2013 JK). I was only half full from the factory and the fluid was garbage. I developed a noise starting at 8k miles. Mostly in 3rd gear accelerating or maintaing speed. Pretty pissed as I'm sure it was a result of the crap fluid and being half full.

All that said, a lot of manual trans noise is not from the transmission itself. It's vibrations or noise coming from other areas of the Jeep. At 9K miles I had a new noise develop and I thought my transmission was going. Commented to someone that it started after using four wheel drive at the start of winter. They told me to check the transfer case shift cable under my Jeep. I checked it, moved it around, and that's it, noise fixed. Literally sounded like metal on metal. Nothing but the transfer case cable vibrating on the transmission shifter.

There are threads about simple fixes and the problems being vibrations. Seriously, the gear shifter can become a megaphone at the right frequencies. There's also a couple threads of persistent people who had everything replaced and then got a new transmission under warranty. And, the noise was still there! I've decided to ignore the current noise for now until something changes with the actual shift performance.

In terms of the throw out bearing, it only makes a noise when the clutch is depressed if it's bad.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jk2013commando
I realize mine was doing that today while I was somewhere on neutral and it made that gear noise...when I press the clutch and put it in gear it stops ...but as soon as I out in neutral and release the clutch it does that noise ...like rolling gears. If I play with the throttle a bit I can make that sound more pronounced. Didn't notice anything besides it does a different click when it goes in 2nd gear and when in 3rd gear while going at 2000-3000 rpm I hear rolling gears when torquing a little. Not sure if it's normal or not ...I have 16000 Kms
See my post above. Exactly what I have right now! Rolling gear noise in third. I'd be curious for you to try something. I discovered the other day that when in third gear, if I slightly push the shifter forward (further into third gear), the noise goes away. Let go, and the noise is back. Just changed my fluid and it was gone for a day and now back. Drives me crazy.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know of the "Vibration noises", and I have fixed those after tons of research. This is coming the transmission and sounds like a knocking and rattling around right where the transmission and engine meet. Ill drive it some more as I don't think it does it all the time, but sometimes when I am outside my jeep and its running the noise it getting kinda loud.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
See my post above. Exactly what I have right now! Rolling gear noise in third. I'd be curious for you to try something. I discovered the other day that when in third gear, if I slightly push the shifter forward (further into third gear), the noise goes away. Let go, and the noise is back. Just changed my fluid and it was gone for a day and now back. Drives me crazy.
I'll try it tomorrow just for fun I think I already did but I'll make sure.

I'll make a transmission oil change this week to check colour smell and signs of metal or something.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jk2013commando
I'll try it tomorrow just for fun I think I already did but I'll make sure. I'll make a transmission oil change this week to check colour smell and signs of metal or something.
Awesome, will be interested to know. I'd love to at least know someone has the exact same symptoms. My Jeep is new, but I've modded everything and don't dare take it to the dealer! "Um sir, the suspension, axles, and transfer case, are not original with your Jeep...."

Quick Reply: Just changed my manual tranny fluid a few questions??