Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

orgot to mention that as well. since about mid September i had varying degrees of wobble on my stock set up
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JdTms11
im not stock anymore, i just put my lift on this weekend

and it is only when hitting bumps but its only freakishly bad when i hit the bump going into or coming out of a turn. other bumps in the road only give me a faint to moderate wobble. im taking it to NTB tomorrow i had a long talk with the guy on the phone and he seemed to know his shite. he said hed give everything i did a once over and test drive it and all that good stuff. Hes hoping to get it all fixed by Thursday/Friday night
What lift modifications have you done. Ninety percent of death wobble problems are from track bars not tightened to the proper torque settings, worn bushings, poor welds on the bracket mounting positions.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put my skyjacker 2.5 on this weekend, which actually came out to 3 1/4, took it this morning to have an alignment done, everything was going good until i was on my way back down to school, before i got onto the highway i was taking a turn to get off, to get on the highway and as i was coming out of the turn i hit a very small bump but it got my jeep shaking so bad that im pretty sure the wheels were hoping off the ground. the place i had the alignment done was right where i was so i went back talked to the tech and he suggested to me that i may need a longer pitman arm as the angle that my drag link is at could be causing the death wobble. he said the because the drag link was at such a steep angle thats what could be causing the stability issues, and even admitted to me that when he drove it, it felt very unstable, and that if i could get the drag link to sit more level with the ground that it may help the problem.

Does this sound right?

also after reading everything, everyone has come up with on here is it possible that my tires could be unbalanced enough for that to ba a factor too? theres 26000 miles on them so far.

im really scared now to drive this thing on the highway, the shakes started happening at around 45-50 miles an hour and they were really bad, i really dont want to find out how bad they are at 60-65 (trip to the hospital in a helicopter is not some thing i think i would enjoy)

thanks for the help in advance
Do you have an adjustable trac bar? Do you have a drop bracket for the trac bar? The only time you should need a drop bracket on the pitman arm is if you have a drop bracket on the trac bar. And get the alignment specs from who did it. You shouldn't have needed to have an alignment after putting on the lift. The only thing the shop could adjust is your toe. So, knowing what he set it at is very important. You would have just needed to adjust your steering wheel center. When doing mods you really should try to do one thing at a time so you know where the wobble came from.

I put in my 4" lift. I was about 5" of actual lift. I just re-centered my steering wheel and drove it. No wobble. I have an adjustable trac bar with no drop brackets and the stock steering assembly. I did recently have an alignment done. I installed an alignment cam on the front lower control arm. I also bent my drag link real bad. So, it was needed.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

I have a drop Pittman arm but I also added a drop track bar bracket to keep the drag link and the track bar parallel. That keeps you from getting bump steer. It shouldn't have anything to do with Dearh wobble.

An adjustable track bar for the front is recommended. If you look at your Jeep head on, your tire will stick out further on the drivers side than the passenger side. Nothing to do with death wobble either but will help with handling issues. Get either the Teraflex or Full Traction adj track bar. I think Teraflex has some new fangled one that makes it easier to adjust! PM Teraflex or call and ask for Joe, or call David@Northridge 4x4, they will take care of you and offer up a lot of good advice. They are great guys!

A major concern with that lift (and has nothing to do with your death wobble is the rear track bar bracket. That thing has been sheering off the rear factory brackets because of the added leverage. Do a search, you will find some scary incidents where it ripped loose at freeway speeds. Skyjacker makes a support bracket to fix this problem. I can't believe they dont include it in the package.

See as how your lift is new, my guess is that the installer either didn't torque the track bar to 125lbs or that he did it while the Jeep was still on the rack. Loosen both ends of the track bar while it is sitting oin the ground and retighten to 125lbs. If you don't have a torque wrench that equals to "all your might" and then some with a standard ratchet or just "all your might" with a long handled ratchet. I dont think you can over tighten it.

Here is some good reading for you and some pictures you might be interested in.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/broken-track-bar-bracket-7488/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/rear-trackbar-bracket-weak-point-5170/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/something-consider-when-lifting-your-jk-5412/

Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

and it is only when hitting bumps but its only freakishly bad when i hit the bump going into or coming out of a turn. other bumps in the road only give me a faint to moderate wobble.
That's me too! And where I work they are doing major road work, so now I have this problem daily. Such a joy.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
Do you have an adjustable trac bar? Do you have a drop bracket for the trac bar? The only time you should need a drop bracket on the pitman arm is if you have a drop bracket on the trac bar. And get the alignment specs from who did it. You shouldn't have needed to have an alignment after putting on the lift. The only thing the shop could adjust is your toe. So, knowing what he set it at is very important. You would have just needed to adjust your steering wheel center. When doing mods you really should try to do one thing at a time so you know where the wobble came from.

I put in my 4" lift. I was about 5" of actual lift. I just re-centered my steering wheel and drove it. No wobble. I have an adjustable trac bar with no drop brackets and the stock steering assembly. I did recently have an alignment done. I installed an alignment cam on the front lower control arm. I also bent my drag link real bad. So, it was needed.
so by having to much toe in could that be causing the DW. he did say he adjusted it.

i have adjustable front and rear track bars, i opted not to put the skyjacker bracket on b/c i had the adjustable track bars, im supposed to hear from the tech tonight. all the guy did at the alignment shop was center my steering, i had done it twice on my own and it didn't stay, dunno why, and he adjusted my toe, it was done at sears and he said they are not allowed to touch after market suspension components, so if my axles are not centered he was not allowed to touch my adjustable track bars, hopefully the guy at NTB will have some good news for me today.

Last edited by JdTms11; 11-04-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think you did everything possible so far....... Taking for granted "they did the work properly. I have had tires & wheels balanced at one place and had to bring them to a different place to get them done right.

Something has to be unbalanced or it wouldn't do that.... I think.

Maybe double stabilizers too!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi

Single, double, or triple stabilizers will only mask a problem that needs to be addressed. I know of people that have been running with no stabilizer for some time now.

I would start with the track bar and work from there.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Single, double, or triple stabilizers will only mask a problem that needs to be addressed. I know of people that have been running with no stabilizer for some time now.

I would start with the track bar and work from there.
So I've been told, but for me with a tire that can't seem to be balanced perfectly if I ran w/o a steering stabilizer I'd be causing accidents.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
JK Jedi

Single, double, or triple stabilizers will only mask a problem that needs to be addressed
Originally Posted by DeepSky
So I've been told, but for me with a tire that can't seem to be balanced perfectly if I ran w/o a steering stabilizer I'd be causing accidents.
Sounds like a problem that needs to be addressed. Go to a different tire shop, have them spin it multiple times, put it on the rear, or press to have it returned to the manufacturer. If you call it a safety hazzard, they will take it back!

Quick Reply: Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.