Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Missed out on it. Was there something going on out there?
Nice emo party going on at the end of the shops. We stopped by to get some tools and it was packed over there.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:19 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rangleme
Nice emo party going on at the end of the shops. We stopped by to get some tools and it was packed over there.
I guess I missed out. Oh well, I was fresh out of black nail polish and eyeliner. And it would have been a bitch getting my hair to cover my eyes. But I do have a few pair of pants that fit pretty tight!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Jedi

I would have looked like a lift kit...."Old Man Emo"

Back on the death wobble topic. Quit sidetracking threads Rangleme!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a video of some serious Death Wobble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWv8R...eature=related
funny!!!! and sad, at least the jeep has rock lights.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

death wobble can happen from defective tires ( not unbalanced tires ) see it felt it not good

I had a wobble in mine which wass caused by bad bushings in the front trac bar

if you have new tires I would really check the castor is set to around 6* - 8*

any steering part by having some one tire the wheel lock to lock ( my trac bar would not shift until it hit lock to lock just wiggling the wheel was not showing it )

if you have adjustable arms check all the joints for movement

you can take a jack and put some pressure on the joint but dont jack up the vechicle from it atleast for bottom joints

or you can get someone to push and pull on the tires while you look for movement

keep in mind it does not have to move a 1/4" to be bad just a little bit of movement is all it takes if you can visually see it move every so little change it out
Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

i put my skyjacker 2.5 on this weekend, which actually came out to 3 1/4, took it this morning to have an alignment done, everything was going good until i was on my way back down to school, before i got onto the highway i was taking a turn to get off, to get on the highway and as i was coming out of the turn i hit a very small bump but it got my jeep shaking so bad that im pretty sure the wheels were hoping off the ground. the place i had the alignment done was right where i was so i went back talked to the tech and he suggested to me that i may need a longer pitman arm as the angle that my drag link is at could be causing the death wobble. he said the because the drag link was at such a steep angle thats what could be causing the stability issues, and even admitted to me that when he drove it, it felt very unstable, and that if i could get the drag link to sit more level with the ground that it may help the problem.

Does this sound right?

also after reading everything, everyone has come up with on here is it possible that my tires could be unbalanced enough for that to ba a factor too? theres 26000 miles on them so far.

im really scared now to drive this thing on the highway, the shakes started happening at around 45-50 miles an hour and they were really bad, i really dont want to find out how bad they are at 60-65 (trip to the hospital in a helicopter is not some thing i think i would enjoy)

thanks for the help in advance

Last edited by JdTms11; 11-03-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a totally different situation, i had the death wobble terribly when my jeep was stock, i'd hit a bump in the road at 35-45 and she'd start to wobble so i'd have to slow down. i was going down the highway once at about 68-72 and went over a patch in the road. this caused my worst death wobble. it started shimmying and then into an all out shaking back and forth violently, i had to stop on the side of the road. a few days later i got my lift and wheels and tires on and my jeep feels a lot more solid then before. my stock setup was the 16" steelies and the 28.5" wrangler ST's. the dealer replaced my steering stabilizer the day after my highway incident and it seemed better. but then i got my jeep modded and it takes bumpers and patchs easily knock on wood no problems here. i'd hate to have DW issues with a lifted jeep with big tires it's scary.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

forgot to mention that as well. since about mid September i had varying degrees of wobble on my stock set up. i check tire pressure around mid October and that helped allot but didn't fix it, and now this is the worst wobble i have ever experienced. i left it at my house and took a train back to school, my brother or someone is going to take it to the dealer for me this week, and hopefully they can look at it and figure this out for me. I'm gona order the longer pitman arm and see if that helps at all.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JdTms11
forgot to mention that as well. since about mid September i had varying degrees of wobble on my stock set up. i check tire pressure around mid October and that helped allot but didn't fix it, and now this is the worst wobble i have ever experienced. i left it at my house and took a train back to school, my brother or someone is going to take it to the dealer for me this week, and hopefully they can look at it and figure this out for me. I'm gona order the longer pitman arm and see if that helps at all.
A longer pitman arm will only screw things up more on a stalk set up. Dont waste your time or money. If it wobbles all the time or at certain speeds it's probably just a tire balance issue. If it happens suddenly after hitting a bump, etc. and leaves a shit stain in your pants, then it is death wobble.

Some people use the term too loosely.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

A longer pitman arm will only screw things up more on a stalk set up. Dont waste your time or money. If it wobbles all the time or at certain speeds it's probably just a tire balance issue. If it happens suddenly after hitting a bump, etc. and leaves a shit stain in your pants, then it is death wobble.

Some people use the term too loosely.

im not stock anymore, i just put my lift on this weekend

and it is only when hitting bumps but its only freakishly bad when i hit the bump going into or coming out of a turn. other bumps in the road only give me a faint to moderate wobble. im taking it to NTB tomorrow i had a long talk with the guy on the phone and he seemed to know his shite. he said hed give everything i did a once over and test drive it and all that good stuff. Hes hoping to get it all fixed by Thursday/Friday night

Last edited by JdTms11; 11-03-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.