Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a frustating occurance to be sure. I have had it several times. There is one bump on the highway (coming onto a overpass bridge) that I can recreate it every time. Now this occurs at highway speeds(65). It is not fun, you literally have to slow down to 20-25 to stop the violent shaking.

Now I was going to go back to the dealer with it, but I replaced the steering stabilizer with a Teraflex one. It still happens. They will probably blame it on the aftermarket parts.

I have been under there tightening everything. Nothing seems to work.
There is also quite a bit of bump steer too.

I guess I'll try a good local alignment shop next.

I'll let you all know.
John
Old 10-19-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CanAm
Do you have adjustable arms on the front? Caster is more likely the culprit , just because it has been aligned does not mean the caster is correct. The shop cannot adjust caster if you do not have adjustable arms. (you have coil spacers and a spring kit right?)
This crossed my mind. Right now I've got it under control, but adjustable arms are definitely on my list of things to do.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is the 2nd recent death wobble thread I've read. I'm going to shoot down a lot of what's suggested as a fix based on my thoughts... please correct me if I'm wrong:

Steering Stabilizer: Can't be. Stabilizer is to stop/prevent sudden jerks, bump-steer etc, but not to stop a resonating wobble. If a stiffer stabilizer helps, it's simply masking the issue.

Tire balancing: Can't be. An unbalanced tire will definitely shake, but it's a rotational shake, not a 'side-to-side' steering shake. A spinning tire wants to go STRAIGHT, whether it's spinning nicely (balanced) or not.

As far as I can reason, the only way anything should wobble uncontrollably is if the caster is messed... something HAS to be messing with the way the wheel wants to track, and the fact that the wheel itself WANTS to go straight, it's gotta be something to do with the caster.

Even with loose tie-rod ends, there would be more play in the steering, but you wouldn't get a resonating wobble.

Has everyone with the wobble measured their caster angle?

Last edited by noot; 10-19-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting info......someone was going to make a sticky about death wobble cures/myths/causes......
Old 10-19-2008, 08:37 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by noot
Steering Stabilizer: Can't be. Stabilizer is to stop/prevent sudden jerks, bump-steer etc, but not to stop a resonating wobble. If a stiffer stabilizer helps, it's simply masking the issue.
this is a true and accurate statement.

Tire balancing: Can't be. An unbalanced tire will definitely shake, but it's a rotational shake, not a 'side-to-side' steering shake. A spinning tire wants to go STRAIGHT, whether it's spinning nicely (balanced) or not.
again, true and accurate.

As far as I can reason, the only way anything should wobble uncontrollably is if the caster is messed... something HAS to be messing with the way the wheel wants to track, and the fact that the wheel itself WANTS to go straight, it's gotta be something to do with the caster.
insufficient caster can contribute to and sometimes even cause DW but 9-10 times, DW is caused by an issue with your front track bar. loose mounting bolts is the #1 reason and a worn out or wollowed out bushing would be #2. little to no caster will aggrevate this problem.

Even with loose tie-rod ends, there would be more play in the steering, but you wouldn't get a resonating wobble.
don't count on it. DW can wrech havoc on all your steering and suspension components and damaged/worn out TRE's can help to contribute to DW.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Interesting info......someone was going to make a sticky about death wobble cures/myths/causes......
yes, that would be me

i'll see what i can't do but as you can imagine, i'm am pretty much booked until after sema
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
yes, that would be me

i'll see what i can't do but as you can imagine, i'm am pretty much booked until after sema
Just given you crap! I'm suprised that no one has gotten video of a DW happening. No SEMA for me this year.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a video of some serious Death Wobble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWv8R...eature=related
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I have a video of some serious Death Wobble!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWv8R...eature=related
You should have brought that to the rave that was going on outside your office the other night
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rangleme
You should have brought that to the rave that was going on outside your office the other night
Missed out on it. Was there something going on out there?

Quick Reply: Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.