Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know how ya feel, ive got the wobble going on right now too. my question is if i go with a suspision lift instead of my BB will that fix the problem ?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dpost82
i know how ya feel, ive got the wobble going on right now too. my question is if i go with a suspision lift instead of my BB will that fix the problem ?
In and of itself, NO.

there is something more than likely loose somewhere (or you have a tire out of balance.), adding a lift wont fix that, but you might inadvertantly cure it by getting everything tightened up correctly in doing so.

I had a wobble between 40 and 50 NOT A DEATH WOBBLE. but a pretty good shimmey. after checking, rechecking, checking again, then checking EVERYTHING one more time, i couldnt find spit wrong with it. After the FOURTH time to the balancer shop, my left front tire was NOT properly balanced. The computer spin balancer said it waas fine, but static balance said otherwise. They balanced all 5, for the FOURTH time, and WHALA! no more shimmeies, shakes, wiggles, wobbles, or wanders. the problem completely disappeared.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 10-18-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

On some of these Jeeps where the death wobble is very repeatable, how about getting some video of the front wheels when it occurs?
It would be helpful to see if the front end is going up and down, left and right, or if the steering is going left and right.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default some thoughts on the wobble

One of you guys needs to get his jeep put on a lift and run the thing in 4wd at the speed the thing is acting up. Watch the front end and wheels. It sounds like a matter of dynamics to me. Just because a tire is ''in balance'' doesn't mean while running down the road at speed that the internal characteristics of the tire won't cause a massive vibration that could be interpreted as a severe ''wobble''. Am I making sense to you guys? A tire with a shifted belt or knot can be ''balanced'' perfectly, but you can't go down the road with a tire like that without the tire trying to fly off the vehicle....Most tires with knots or shifted belts only give vibratory symptoms at certain speeds, not all the time. A tire doesn't have to be really ''defective'' to have an area of speed that causes it to vibrate, it just has to hit that spot that causes these spin harmonics to come into play.....This could be what is causing some of these brackets to break, are any breaking with stock tires?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

UPDATE:

Got the tires rebalanced. Everything seems back to normal, go figure .
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepSky
UPDATE:

Got the tires rebalanced. Everything seems back to normal, go figure .
I know the frustration of not getting your jeep to drive the way it should, but i think the death woble term has been thrown out there way too much. obviously you were not experiencing a dw. I have never experienced the death woble as I'm still alive, but neither have you.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 7/16 - 1/2 inch tow in toooo mouch

just had an alignment done and the factory setting was 7/16 - 1/2 inch tow in.
My local body shop here in Monroe MI. is great they put my tow in to 1/16inch and my jeep drives great and my caster is at +1 to +1.5 degree with the 4 inch suspension lift ,he said when you get to a +2 degrees or more then you start to get problems with shakeing
Old 10-18-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when you install oversize tires run them for about 500 miles before balancing them. This gives the tire carcass time to ''shift'' and once they've been run like this then they can be balanced THE FIRST TIME.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robin
I know the frustration of not getting your jeep to drive the way it should, but i think the death woble term has been thrown out there way too much. obviously you were not experiencing a dw. I have never experienced the death woble as I'm still alive, but neither have you.
Yeah, that's probably true. However; before I replaced my steering stabilizer the tires being off balance did honestly send me into death wobble, to the point that I had to pull off to the side of the road.

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when you install oversize tires run them for about 500 miles before balancing them. This gives the tire carcass time to ''shift'' and once they've been run like this then they can be balanced THE FIRST TIME.
I've heard you say this, but I've had these tires for 16,000 miles.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default wobble

Do you have adjustable arms on the front? Caster is more likely the culprit , just because it has been aligned does not mean the caster is correct. The shop cannot adjust caster if you do not have adjustable arms. (you have coil spacers and a spring kit right?)

Another thing to check is the wheels , are they hub centric or lug centric? this is the terminology for how the wheel is centered when bolted to the vehicle. I chased a severe balance problem on a chevrolet tahoe , the problem turned out to be hub centic wheels on a lug centric vehicle - the fix was adapters that go between the wheel and the mounting surface on the vehicle (not spacers)

Quick Reply: Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.