Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by motorhead0320
mine has the same bend to it. but i also have the wobbles. mine also seems to be in the upper 30mph area. I just got mine rebalanced last week and it helped slightly but not great. i think i am going to try puttin bb's or dynabeads in the tires and see what happens. again, i think i will just end up avoiding running at the speed i get the wobbles.
Thanks, for confirming the bend is a normal thing. That's a relief.

I just read that the less of an angle and the more horizontal your steering stabilizer is the more effective it is.

I just went out and flipped my stabilizer around so that I could let it sit more horizontal. Going to see if that makes a shred of difference.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I flipped my steering stabilizer and the wobble seems a bit better on flat ground, but hitting bumps still wobbles the front end....

sigh....
Old 10-04-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

same problem here 28-32 mph
Old 10-04-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

I am surprised to see this many people having death wobble in the JK. I had it pretty bad for a while on my YJ. Mine was a combination of things that fixed it: front end alignment, balance tires, and new tie rod ends. These all were done at the same time, so I can't say that any certain one fixed it. But it is completely gone.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tn_dodge
I am surprised to see this many people having death wobble in the JK. I had it pretty bad for a while on my YJ. Mine was a combination of things that fixed it: front end alignment, balance tires, and new tie rod ends. These all were done at the same time, so I can't say that any certain one fixed it. But it is completely gone.
From all the stuff I've had done I've pretty much narrowed it down to a front end alignment and new tie rod ends...

...just got to find the time to do it.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

the guys gave you some good points, have you tried putting someone in the drivers seat, and gently turn the wheel side to side
? ...........to check for moving parts.....also if you are going to get an alignment if you have a firestone in your area, go and get there life time alignment....it will pay for it self in a couple of trips......since the dealer replaced the front axle check the shocks, up and lower mounts to make sure there is no play.....check your tire pressure......make sure your adjustable trac bar the jam nuts are tight.......i said nuts.......and check the steering stablizer, and make sure the dealer didn't install wrong like the did on mine for a warrently repair......they had the stablizer adjusted to short and it would bottom out and mess it up....after the second repair.....got underneath and turned wheels lock to lock....and noticed they didn't have adjusted to right......good luck you will get it figured out just keep us posted....
Old 10-05-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blkpearl
the guys gave you some good points, have you tried putting someone in the drivers seat, and gently turn the wheel side to side
? ...........to check for moving parts.....also if you are going to get an alignment if you have a firestone in your area, go and get there life time alignment....it will pay for it self in a couple of trips......since the dealer replaced the front axle check the shocks, up and lower mounts to make sure there is no play.....check your tire pressure......make sure your adjustable trac bar the jam nuts are tight.......i said nuts.......and check the steering stablizer, and make sure the dealer didn't install wrong like the did on mine for a warrently repair......they had the stablizer adjusted to short and it would bottom out and mess it up....after the second repair.....got underneath and turned wheels lock to lock....and noticed they didn't have adjusted to right......good luck you will get it figured out just keep us posted....
Thanks for the advice. Gonna take it in for an alignment today.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check your front unitized bearings. Check your oversized tires, not balance but constuction. Check for belt shift or knots. Put your spare on l front and then r front.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Just got back from Firestone. Had them do a 4 wheel alignment.

No bottom line results yet, but it seemed to behave on the drive home. I had my normal bit of bump steer (I need a better steering stabilizer) but around 33-36mph I let the wheel do what it wanted and there wasn't any wobbling.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Last update:

Well, I've driven it a lot more after the alignment and it did not help one bit....

I guess I'm just destined to be wobbley. The only thing I can think of now is getting that dual steering stabilizer kit to help mask it more.

Quick Reply: Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.