Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.

I just can't seem to get rid of the death wobble I have, ARRRRRGHHHHHHHH.

It all started a few weeks back when the track bar bracket broke right off my axle housing going 30MPH and I almost caused an accident.

Since then I have had a new axle housing put on by the dealer and have had constant wobble issues between the speeds of 33 and 36 MPH. I've tried the following:

• Getting rid of the Skyjacker kit trackbar adapter bracket and installing a JKS adjustable trackbar.
  • Tightening down every bolt on the front end.
  • Installing a brand new Skyjacker HD steering stabilizer.
  • Getting my tires rotated and balanced.
  • Checking the trackbar bracket holes to see if they were wollowed out from the accident.

I honestly don't know what else to try. The only thing I can think of now is that my drag link has a little bend in it towards the passenger side, but I'm not sure if 1. the bend is normal, or 2. if it was bent it would cause DW.

Any ideas?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Junkie

I feel yah bud! Your DW happened because of a circumstance, mine is happening and I dont have any solid idea why. But I can say that I have sympathy because it is frustrasting.

I was thinking of the list of reasons people have told me why..........

steering stabilizer
front track bar
castors
driveshaft
leaf springs
shocks
control arms
my budget boost

and the list goes on.......

I would check what you mentioned there, do some research and go from there.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have the same problem. sorry to tell you i havent figured it out yet either. i have just learned to drive a little faster or slower than the wobble speed. good luck.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by motorhead0320
i have the same problem. sorry to tell you i havent figured it out yet either. i have just learned to drive a little faster or slower than the wobble speed. good luck.
I'm sorry motorhead but for some reason that made me laugh, aint it the truth!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering if you have checked the toe on the front wheels?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rangleme
I feel yah bud! Your DW happened because of a circumstance, mine is happening and I dont have any solid idea why. But I can say that I have sympathy because it is frustrasting.

I was thinking of the list of reasons people have told me why..........

I would check what you mentioned there, do some research and go from there.
I hate to say it, but I'm glad I'm not alone here. Do you have the same problem at the same MPH as I?

Originally Posted by motorhead0320
Sounds like a solid fix to the problem!

Do you also have the same problem at the same MPH as I do? (33-36mph)

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
Just wondering if you have checked the toe on the front wheels?
I'm still a pretty big newb here. Is it easy to check the toe on the front wheels? The toe is basically the straightness of the wheels parallel to the body of the vehicle right?
Old 10-04-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Went to the 4x4 EVENT in Pomona last night and talked to over 20 different vendors about the
death wobble. And....yes, many different opinions. The two most common reasons that I heard were, 1.tire balance 2.toe alignment. Others often mentioned, tire pressure (lower is better),
warn bushings in any "bar" (trak, drag, etc.), tighten up all bolts, many built up trucks still had stock steering stabilizer (interesting), get stronger trak bar and drag bar, most common between 35-50 mph, install complete new axle system with stonger trak bar welds to axle, add stonger bolt on plate to stock axle for trak bar, check lower schock bushing for wear,
Many vendors suggested owners should be contacting Chrysler and highway safety transportation agency. Plan on taking my JK to Currie in Anaheim to have their tech check system. They do no repairs but rep agreed to have their tech check and make reccomendations, and I agreed to buy their products.
Sure wish there was only one or two solutions!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blazer4949
Went to the 4x4 EVENT in Pomona last night and talked to over 20 different vendors about the
death wobble. And....yes, many different opinions. The two most common reasons that I heard were, 1.tire balance 2.toe alignment. Others often mentioned, tire pressure (lower is better),
warn bushings in any "bar" (trak, drag, etc.), tighten up all bolts, many built up trucks still had stock steering stabilizer (interesting), get stronger trak bar and drag bar, most common between 35-50 mph, install complete new axle system with stonger trak bar welds to axle, add stonger bolt on plate to stock axle for trak bar, check lower schock bushing for wear,
Many vendors suggested owners should be contacting Chrysler and highway safety transportation agency. Plan on taking my JK to Currie in Anaheim to have their tech check system. They do no repairs but rep agreed to have their tech check and make reccomendations, and I agreed to buy their products.
Sure wish there was only one or two solutions!!!
Ugh...so many things it could be. Well anyway good luck with yours, hope they give you some good recommendations.

While I'm thinking about it, could someone check their drag link and see if in fact it does has a small bend on the passenger side? I'm curious if mine is messed up.

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

It's sort of deceiving because of the light, but does the tie rod look like it isn't perfectly straight in this picture:

Old 10-04-2008, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine has the same bend to it. but i also have the wobbles. mine also seems to be in the upper 30mph area. I just got mine rebalanced last week and it helped slightly but not great. i think i am going to try puttin bb's or dynabeads in the tires and see what happens. again, i think i will just end up avoiding running at the speed i get the wobbles.

Quick Reply: Just CAN'T Shake the Death Wobble.