Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just bought my 2012 JKU! Need Lift/Tire Help please....

Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my 2012 JKU! Need Lift/Tire Help please....

After 3 test drives and a few years waiting for the Pentastar I've finally bitten the bullet and am back in the Jeep Family! Picked up a loaded, white, 2012 JKU Sport yesterday.

I've been researching lifts and tires and have a few questions for any of you out there that have JKU's and have done work to them. I've been talking to a local and very friendly Jeep guy here in the Portland area about various height lifts and tire sizes to match. I really appreciate any feedback and help.

1. Does anybody run the Teraflex 2.5" coil suspension lift with shock adapters? I was going to go with the TF Performance 1.5" leveling kit, but apparently it's better to go with the 2.5" for $100 more.

2. Tires...I don't want to run a 35", but if I go with the 2.5" lift I don't want the tires I do run to look tiny. I've been told that if I am keeping stock rims then a 305/65/17 would be my best bet to fill out the well, and also not have any rubbing issues. This Jeep will be a pavement pounder, and see limited trail/off roading.

3. TF says on their website that if you run stock rims with that lift you need to also buy wheel spacers. Is this true, and if so any negative effects from them?

Appreciate any feedback and pics! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Most of your questions are answered in the FAQ section.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ery-Newbie-Has
Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lot's of info here - I'll let you enjoy the research it's half the fun. And I don't have answers for you except:

Go Big .... you'll want more.

Welcome!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 2012 rubicon unlimited and am running the 2.5 coil lift but with the teraflex 9550 shocks. i'im running 295/70/17 tires about a 33.5. if you lift make sure you either get exhaust spacers or the afe y pipe to move the crossover back for clearance. also you probably want longer brake lines in the front as they are too short with any sort of lift, also a front adjustable trackbar is probably a good idea too. here's my write up with some tips.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bicon-JKU-Tips
Old 12-08-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ray101381
I have 2012 rubicon unlimited and am running the 2.5 coil lift but with the teraflex 9550 shocks. i'im running 295/70/17 tires about a 33.5. if you lift make sure you either get exhaust spacers or the afe y pipe to move the crossover back for clearance. also you probably want longer brake lines in the front as they are too short with any sort of lift, also a front adjustable trackbar is probably a good idea too. here's my write up with some tips.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...bicon-JKU-Tips
Really appreciate your post, and nice looking Rubicon! Nobody has mentioned anything about the exhaust spacers. I do know that the longer brake lines and adjustable trackbar come with it. This gives me a good visual and some nice feedback. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Freebird88
Really appreciate your post, and nice looking Rubicon! Nobody has mentioned anything about the exhaust spacers. I do know that the longer brake lines and adjustable trackbar come with it. This gives me a good visual and some nice feedback. Thanks!
There's no longer brakelines with the 2.5" kits or adj trackbar either. Yes you will need #2610000 exhaust spacers for that kit if you replace the shocks. If you have any questions, please give me a call.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
There's no longer brakelines with the 2.5" kits or adj trackbar either. Yes you will need #2610000 exhaust spacers for that kit if you replace the shocks. If you have any questions, please give me a call.
Thanks for jumping in. So not only would I need exhaust spacers, but also brake line extensions, and a new front adjustable track bar? I only ask because the jeep guy I was talking to made no mentiton of any of this she. W discussed the lido options and quote out prices. Just trying to determine the smartest move to make that has the least negative impact on the performance of the jeep. Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
Are the brake lines and track bar needed? If so does TeraFlex sell a kit with "everything" needed? I haven't even bought my Jeep yet and I'm very confused.... I have a note book with stuff I write down because every time I visit this site I see some other BS that's got to be considered for what one would think is a simple process. But I guess for some that's the "fun" of it, thank goodness for you guys and gals!!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cervelo
Are the brake lines and track bar needed? If so does TeraFlex sell a kit with "everything" needed? I haven't even bought my Jeep yet and I'm very confused.... I have a note book with stuff I write down because every time I visit this site I see some other BS that's got to be considered for what one would think is a simple process. But I guess for some that's the "fun" of it, thank goodness for you guys and gals!!!!
Amen, Cervelo. I was thinking the same thing. Why wouldn't these suspension companies just include everything needed in the package like they used to? We know the answer...more money. Makes it more difficult for consumers too.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freebird88
Amen, Cervelo. I was thinking the same thing. Why wouldn't these suspension companies just include everything needed in the package like they used to? We know the answer...more money. Makes it more difficult for consumers too.
I have the 2.5 coil lift with shock adapters on my 2012 2dr. You don't have to have anything other than what comes in the kit. The exhaust spacers resolve any clearance issues that can be an issue when flexing offroad. It isn't a "must have" for a DD but if you plan on wheeling it much the 60 bucks is worth the piece of mind. Same for the trackbar. It is a nice upgrade but unless you are lifting 4" it isn't mandatory. Thus why they offer a kit that doesn't include it. Both items are on my list of things to do but they don't have to be done at the same time as the lift. Good luck and I hope this helps you out some.

Quick Reply: Just bought my 2012 JKU! Need Lift/Tire Help please....