Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Just backed into a pole! Time to upgrade my rear bumper, any suggetions

Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just backed into a pole! Time to upgrade my rear bumper, any suggetions

So I just backed into a pole at my wife's office. Very embarrassing! No damage to the pole, thank god. The jeep on the other hand received some damage. The rear passenger side of the bumper is toast and the taillight is completely busted out. Along with my taillight guard. While most people would look at this in an extremely negative manner I'm trying to look at it as a good thing. There's no reason to put an OEM bumper back on in my mind. As for for the taillight I'm really not sure what's out their for replacement. If you were going to replace your bumper do to a crash what would you do or get? Would you just fix what you got or upgrade? If you upgrade what do you think would be the best choice for a bumper for me. I have a Warn front rock crawler bumper. Should I match it up with a Warn rear bumper or should I go a different route. I want the new bumper to at least have a hitch. I would love a bumper with a tire carrier or at least the option to upgrade o that down the road. Rear lights would be cool but its not a must, maybe just slots for them down the road too. As for price. I'm getting a replacement quote from a shop to see just how much I'm looking at. Don't want insurance involved. As for price thinking $500 or under. Tail lights? No ideas as of yet. What do you guys think I should do. I can't drive around with it like this for long. It's killing me already and it happened two hours ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3343839192.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	426683   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1450539829.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	426684   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-490718262.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	426685  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bummer man! I know how u feel. I've been there done that to the front bumper when I tired parking in my friend's apartment complex under a car port thing. The
Old 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oops! I accidentally clicked send on my cell phone. Anyway, I would upgrade your rear bumper. When it happened to me, I also looked at it as a positive and bought a set of Off Camber Fabrications. I liked this rear bumper because it was designed to use the factory tow package I already had. The OEM bumpers are just a plastic shell. Total junk. I'm not sure about the taillight, but I'm sure others will be able to offer advice. Good luck :-)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Bummer man! Some lady hit my front bumper in a parking lot recently. I did A LOT of research and found the wonderful thread "I did the unthinkable" . You should check out eautogrilles off of ebay. They have a rear bumper and tire carrier for around $500. Most have found that it is a Smitty knock-off, but still fairly high quality. I got my front bumper from them and it is awesome. High quality and, while the welds do look like they were done by a child, it seems pretty strong. Oh, and free shipping too! Check them out!

Edit: it comes with a hitch. I forgot to mention that.

Last edited by 5280transplant; 02-25-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure it was a "accident" LOL I have contemplated doing that so the wife would let me get a new bumper.... LOL its a bummer. What budget are you looking at? if you are trying to keep it cheap, alot of people on a budget have had success with the Ebay bumpers. If u have unlimited budget do some looking around/research, and do whats best for your type of wheeling. Do you want high clearance? full protection with jerry can holders? built in storage? endless options for what ever style of wheeling you can come up with
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

ditch the rear bumper all together and check out the EVO D-ring mounts. great look and affordable. its certainly next on my long long list to-do's
Old 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE=5280transplant;3447160]Bummer man! Some lady hit my front bumper in a parking lot recently. I did A LOT of research and found the wonderful thread "I did the unthinkable" . You should check out eautogrilles off of ebay. They have a rear bumper and tire carrier for around $500. Most have found that it is a Smitty knock-off, but still fairly high quality. I got my front bumper from them and it is awesome. High quality and, while the welds do look like they were done by a child, it seems pretty strong. Oh, and free shipping too! Check them out!

**** removed non-sponsor link *****

I just got this one for mine about a week ago, im happy with it seems soild dosnt make much if any noise and it was $499.00 shipped, it even comes with 2 shackles.

Last edited by scooby snacks; 02-25-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Removed link to non-sponsor
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to know that the OEM bumper can take a hit.....lol. The bumpers that Jeep puts on their JK's are a Joke... The stock bumpers are useless. I'm in the same boat I really need to fork out the money to get a LOD rear bumper.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor

We have the Rampage Recovery rear bumper on our rig. We have put this thing through the tests and its held up very well for us.

Smashboogie 4x4's Photos | Facebook
Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gusto2465
So I just backed into a pole at my wife's office. Very embarrassing! No damage to the pole, thank god. The jeep on the other hand received some damage. The rear passenger side of the bumper is toast and the taillight is completely busted out. Along with my taillight guard. While most people would look at this in an extremely negative manner I'm trying to look at it as a good thing. There's no reason to put an OEM bumper back on in my mind. As for for the taillight I'm really not sure what's out their for replacement. If you were going to replace your bumper do to a crash what would you do or get? Would you just fix what you got or upgrade? If you upgrade what do you think would be the best choice for a bumper for me. I have a Warn front rock crawler bumper. Should I match it up with a Warn rear bumper or should I go a different route. I want the new bumper to at least have a hitch. I would love a bumper with a tire carrier or at least the option to upgrade o that down the road. Rear lights would be cool but its not a must, maybe just slots for them down the road too. As for price. I'm getting a replacement quote from a shop to see just how much I'm looking at. Don't want insurance involved. As for price thinking $500 or under. Tail lights? No ideas as of yet. What do you guys think I should do. I can't drive around with it like this for long. It's killing me already and it happened two hours ago.
Got this one for 49$ out of pocket after my jeep was tapped and creased the plastic. The other persons insurance adjuster balked at the thought of me making the claim on her but as I told him, It is a new Jeep and wasn't like that before she hit me

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1352905320.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	426868

Off eBay, same as the eautogrilles one but 20$ less.

Quick Reply: Just backed into a pole! Time to upgrade my rear bumper, any suggetions