Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Jousted by a branch, now what?

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jousted by a branch, now what?

Well we had a great weekend wheeling and camping, but took on some damage. A branch got kicked up weird and poked a hole through the inner fender and fender flair. Unfortunately the brush was so thick that by the time I was able to get out of the Jeep it had worked its way up and into the fender.

So, while I get the fender off and to a body shop I need to decide what to do about the flares. Which is where you all come in? I am torn between two flare sets. Genright Aluminum or Bushwacker Flats?

I’ve read several threads and I know many of you say just cut the stockers… but I this flare (inner and outer) are not salvageable (I think the hole in the liner is too far inbound to even be corrected for a cut and reused.)

I wheel in the Midwest. I try to avoid mud but it is fairly unavoidable. There is also a lot of vegetation. It’s USUALLY small stuff that does more scratching that real damage. This said, I would like a flare that can take a love-tap from a tree. (I don’t expect any flare to hold up to a full smack. What I don’t want is for the flare to do more damage than good should an impact happen. ( I know this is a debate). Lastly I have to be concerned for corrosion as I deal with a crap-load of salt in the Winter.
So what are your experiences with my concerns below?

Genright (Clear looks winner)
My JK is Billet Silver, so I think I will be painting them black.. Will I always be touching them up?
Will they cause more damage than good should a tree strike happen?

Bushwacker Flats (Clear cost winner)
How badly will the plastic scratch?
Will they recover from a tree strike?

Sorry for all the reading …Your opinions are appreciated.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker unless you want to be touching up or repainting the painted fenders.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie

My friends that use the Bushwacker fenders just use Rustoleum truck bed liner on them, since they did tend to scratch easily. They're reasonably prices, or you can buy a used set off CL and cut them.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bushwacker always looks cheap IMO... id rather spend a bit more on some metalcloak so that they dont break all the time, or get those annoying gauges in the plastic.
Plus the reflector on the sides is pretty lame.

Quick Reply: Jousted by a branch, now what?