Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKUR Stock height suspension upgrade/level

Old 04-06-2016, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKUR Stock height suspension upgrade/level

This is my first forum/post ever and I did as much reading as possible before I posted to try to not waste yalls time. I have a '15 JKUR with 35's, flat fenders, and front and rear steel bumpers (winch coming soon). I love the stock height but want to level and upgrade it without lifting. Trying to avoid changing the geometry too much and upgrading the suspension past what I need/use (fast dirt/washboards/pre-runner ish and mudding on the ranch, no crawling). Trying not to break the bank, a couple hundred at a time gradually is how I mod. What do y'all advise? Teraflex performance leveling kit (read it sags?) with Fox factory shocks and bump stops? Bilsteins with stiffer mopar springs? OME springs and shocks? Not looking for budget boosts/leveling pucks/body lifts. Thank y'all for the help and advice it's much appreciated.

Last edited by HCAZ91; 04-06-2016 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Adds
Old 04-06-2016, 05:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all welcome to the madness.
So here is the kicker and a question. How are you running 35s on a stock JKUR? Must have some sort of lift or flat fenders. Check to see if you can find a part number tag on the springs.
Any of the brands you mentioned are good and you will be fine. Aftermarket springs usually compensate for the extra weight of winch and bumpers.
So if you want a better ride at the height you are now, reduce the air in you tires to the appropriate psi for your tire and vehicle weight combination. Average 35s ons JKU should be around 27psi.
Out a better shock on.
If the current springs are not sagging leave them on.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The simple answer is you will not get what you are asking for at that lift height cheap. Adding a leveling kit and fox shocks is pretty generic and will not give you any performance over the stock set up. If you really want a go fast rig you need up travel and tuned shocks and bumps, not some off the shelf bolt on stuff. Things like coil overs, bypass shock, air bumps (not the teraflex speed bumps) is what you should be looking at but expect to spend big $$$$ on such a set up. If you want to go fast on your farm buy a Razor and keep the jeep for commuting.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

PhotoJk: Yeah I've got flat fenders.

So if I did king bolt on's 0-2" shocks front and rear with King air bumps and the teraflex performance leveling kit springs it should be much better and help with bottoming the suspension a bit as well as level it out correct?
Old 04-06-2016, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I was thinking more of a bypass shock, something you could tune. Off the shelf stuff is not meant for what you are talking about even though companies like to make you think they do in their advertising. How fast are we talking about?
Are you planning a full cage and 5 point restraints in case of a roll over?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Dirtman: nothing too fast, more along the lines of quick down bumpy country dirt/gravel roads, occasional mud on the ranch, and I've got some area that's not intense washboards but I've bottomed out on it. Definitely not looking to the point of rollover speeds and it's not tons of turns. I do plan on adding to the cage and maybe getting better harnesses in the future. I think I'm leaning towards better shocks (bypasses like you mentioned) that are bolt ons (coilovers are out of price range), springs to level it, and a better bump stop if I can. I'm not on LCOG Pre-runner status but I drive fairly quickly off-road where I can and I think that should do the trick. Plus I can piece together a kit like that without doing it all at once and it'll still be good for my DD. Springs to level, followed by shocks, followed by bump stops seems logical.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

OH, ok. There are a lot of first time posters that see a video of a JK running fast thru the dessert and want to build a go fast pre runner not understanding what is involved. For what I was referring to is for 50+mph across some pretty decent bumps which can get scary as you push the speed if you are not equipped with the added safety features. For just driving around the farm I don't see the need for a bypass shock and adding some air bumps any standard lift will allow you control the hard bottoming out by adjusting the pressure in the bumps. A heavier rate coil may help as well but will not ride as nice as a daily driver. Front coilers would also allow you for more tuning but at a price.

Quick Reply: JKUR Stock height suspension upgrade/level