Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

JKUHR Axle shaft bent?

Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JKUHR Axle shaft bent?

Hey guys and gals, hoping you can help. Went wheeling and got a little bound up. Now I’ve got a squeaky Jeep and a “wobbly wheel” on my back passenger side.

Looks like a couple videos of a bent axle shaft I found on you tube. So here’s my question(s)

1. If I have the Hard Rock with a 3” lift and 35’s and (Dana 44 axles?) Should I just replace the axle shaft with the the stock?

First-off, I don’t wheel a lot so I’m not looking for a major upgrade. (I’ve got a wedding to save for so Jeep spending is a little tight at the moment.)

I’ve heard the Dana 44’s are great, but obviously I don’t want to have to do this again in a year.

2. What are my aftermarket options? Don’t they warrant the shafts and such?

3. What am I looking at cost to benefit kinda deal.

Thanks for any and all advice. Just trying to figure out how to keep when I grow up. Lol

Old 01-07-2019, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the opportunity to upgrade the axle shaft as this is a very common problem with the stock axles. They can bend just hitting a speed bump to hard. Sad but true
Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Riptide9
Take the opportunity to upgrade the axle shaft as this is a very common problem with the stock axles. They can bend just hitting a speed bump to hard. Sad but true
just the shafts then? Recommendations?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

TenFactory

It's been a few years since I looked into axle shafts, but they had the best warranty at the time. Their warranty also covers bent flanges, (likely what you are experiencing) while some others do not.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/a...-axle-kit-rear
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/a...-press-bearing

Another option might be Craigslist. See if you can find a cheap set of take-offs from someone who went aftermarket. Though you may as well pick up two sets, for when the replacements bend...

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-07-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

You probably bent the flanges, and not the splines. I'm running Factory Ten shafts in the rear, and they're smooth as butter. I also had the squeak and wobble.

Here you go: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/a...-press-bearing
Old 01-07-2019, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,945 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Agree with all the above. The factory flanges just don't tend to hold up to larger tires. Definitely save yourself the trouble and get them with the new seals and bearings pressed on so they are literally plug-and-play. Seems like finding a used set of factory shafts is a rare occurrence.....probably because most the upgrades are due to having already bent one or both of the factories....that or owners want to keep them in case they ever sell the jeep and want to resell the upgraded shafts.

Best of luck to you. It should be an easy fix at least, even if a little pinch to the wallet.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
TenFactory

It's been a few years since I looked into axle shafts, but they had the best warranty at the time. Their warranty also covers bent flanges, (likely what you are experiencing) while some others do not.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/a...-axle-kit-rear
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/a...-press-bearing

Another option might be Craigslist. See if you can find a cheap set of take-offs from someone who went aftermarket. Though you may as well pick up two sets, for when the replacements bend...
Originally Posted by BoraBora
You probably bent the flanges, and not the splines. I'm running Factory Ten shafts in the rear, and they're smooth as butter. I also had the squeak and wobble.

Here you go: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/a...-press-bearing
Originally Posted by resharp001
Agree with all the above. The factory flanges just don't tend to hold up to larger tires. Definitely save yourself the trouble and get them with the new seals and bearings pressed on so they are literally plug-and-play. Seems like finding a used set of factory shafts is a rare occurrence.....probably because most the upgrades are due to having already bent one or both of the factories....that or owners want to keep them in case they ever sell the jeep and want to resell the upgraded shafts.

Best of luck to you. It should be an easy fix at least, even if a little pinch to the wallet.

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all of your help
and insight.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 136 Likes on 121 Posts

Another vote for ten factory here. I've tried a few shafts and these are my favorite by far, don't hesitate.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:25 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Ten Factory worked great for me too...
Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Default Best deals?

Hey guys, it’s bewn awhile but I was able to scrape up the dough to grab the ten factory axles; where’s the cheapest place to buy them? Any sales on the horizon? Thanks in advance!!

Quick Reply: JKUHR Axle shaft bent?